Seasiders maintain unbeaten start to the season
- Credit: Archant
Weston defeated Glastonbury to maintain their unbeaten start to the season.
WESTON went clear at the top of WEPL Premier Two and maintained their unbeaten status with an emphatic eight wicket victory over Glastonbury.
Bowling first, Sean Stringer and Andy Fear set the tone making runs difficult to come by. Stringer removed young Somerset batter Cameron Steel for 19, before an excellent piece of glove work by John Davidson removed Beal, stumped off the bowling of Fear.
Another stumping, this time for Ashley Allen, plus a second wicket for Fear (10-2-21-2) saw Glastonbury to 76-4 at drinks. The reintroduction of Stringer broke a 44-run partnership as he had Ellison (37) brilliantly caught by Edd Brown.
The pressure began to tell on the young side and some indecisive running eventually saw Rob Turner run out Smith.
You may also want to watch:
Glastonbury pushed their way towards 150 until Chris Davidson (2-30) picked up two wickets in an over and in the final few overs, a wicket for Allen (2-32) and a run out for Shabil Ahmed ended the innings on 172.
John Davidson had an excellent day with the gloves leading the side in the field.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 4 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 5 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 6 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 7 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 8 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 9 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 10 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
Weston got off to a flying start as Rob Turner wasted no time in racing to 36 from just 26 balls before he was adjudged lbw. From there on in, it was the all too familiar Fear and Ahmed show, as they added 87 for the next wicket.
Fear was caught at the wicket for 44, but with only 32 needed, Brown was able to help Ahmed see Weston to a 21 point win. Ahmed finished on 59 not out to continue his fine start to the season.
Intouch CRM man of the match was Shabil Ahmed.
C Steel b Stringer 19
J Beal st J Davidson b Fear 6
J Russell st J Davidson b Allen 16
H Ellison c Brown b Stringer 37
P Smith c C Davidson b Fear 0
W Mason c & b C Davidson 30
O White run out 1
R Travers b C Davidson 10
B Mason lbw Allen 6
S Keates run out 12
W Dickens not out 6
Bowling: E Brown 3-0-21-0; S Stringer 10-0-29-2; A Fear 10-2-21-2; C Davidson 7-0-30-2; A Allen 9-2-32-2; S Ahmed 8.4-1-33-0.
R Turner lbw Steel 36
A Fear c Mason b Russell 44
S Ahmed not out 59
E Brown not out 13
Total (2 wkts) 174