Seasiders pay the penalty for missed chances
- Credit: Archant
Two narrow penalty misses proved costly as Weston were narrowly defeat by Newent.
Newent 11 pts
Weston 8 pts
Weston could have won this close encounter with Newent, but two narrow penalty misses by centre Glenn Dickson were in the end to prove costly as a late Newent penalty secured victory.
With the elements playing a crucial role in proceedings, Newent started the stronger and were three points to the good after 10 minutes through a penalty by captain Ross Webb.
You may also want to watch:
The rest of the half was a war of attrition, but the hosts stretched their lead with a fine chip and chase by winger Brett Gardner. Dickson immediately cut the lead with a penalty and Weston must have fancied their chances with the elements in their favour in the second period.
This feeling was enhanced when No 8 Rich Bignell forced his way over following a determined period of pressure. With the scores level, Dickson missed the difficult conversion before an identical miss from a penalty soon after.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 3 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 4 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 5 Pupil awarded new bike for attending every lesson
- 6 Pet store to relocate to new unit
- 7 Plan to build £30million second school site approved
- 8 Weston celebrates Great Big Green Week
- 9 Plans for 60 homes in village rejected after 800 objections
- 10 Weston mum thanks community after Afghan refugee donation
Weston were dominant in the second period, but could not force another opening. The late Newent penalty resulting from a rare break out secured Weston’s fate.