Seasiders pay the penalty for missed chances
- Credit: Archant
Two narrow penalty misses proved costly as Weston were narrowly defeat by Newent.
Newent 11 pts
Weston 8 pts
Weston could have won this close encounter with Newent, but two narrow penalty misses by centre Glenn Dickson were in the end to prove costly as a late Newent penalty secured victory.
With the elements playing a crucial role in proceedings, Newent started the stronger and were three points to the good after 10 minutes through a penalty by captain Ross Webb.
You may also want to watch:
The rest of the half was a war of attrition, but the hosts stretched their lead with a fine chip and chase by winger Brett Gardner. Dickson immediately cut the lead with a penalty and Weston must have fancied their chances with the elements in their favour in the second period.
This feeling was enhanced when No 8 Rich Bignell forced his way over following a determined period of pressure. With the scores level, Dickson missed the difficult conversion before an identical miss from a penalty soon after.
- 1 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 2 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 3 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 4 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 5 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 6 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 7 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 8 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 9 New leadership team for charity
- 10 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
Weston were dominant in the second period, but could not force another opening. The late Newent penalty resulting from a rare break out secured Weston’s fate.