Seasiders run in five tries at Cleve

WESTON’S handling was poor, and they struggled at both scrum and line-out but despite this, they outscored their hosts by five tries to one at the Hayfields.

CLEVE 13 pts

WESTON 36 pts

WESTON’S handling was poor, and they struggled at both scrum and line-out but despite this, they outscored their hosts by five tries to one at the Hayfields.

Cleve were in contention more than the scoreline suggests and it was as well for the Seasiders that their defence was up to scratch.

You may also want to watch:

Weston started at pace, and they were 14 points ahead after only five minutes.

James Mackay’s accurate chip found George Wright and the winger’s inside pass sent Joe Waterman over, and two minutes later, they scored again.

Most Read

Good work by Andrew Glen, Paul Sprague and Mackay sent Gavin Simpson diving in, Mackay converting both scores, but the Seasiders’ handling was beginning to fray. Several knock ons and poor options kept the hosts in the match and it was not until the 35th minute that Mackay’s penalty increased the lead.

Before the break Gareth Knox’s penalty reduced Cleve’s arrears but Weston finished the half strongly with Craig Withers’ unconverted try from a chargedown, giving them a 17 point advantage.

The hosts were now playing with the wind and Knox’s second penalty arrived in the first minute of the second half.

The visitors’ line-out was not functioning and some indifferent play in the midfield brought the Bristol side some hope and the Seasiders were grateful for Waterman’s try-saving tackle on wing Eddolls which could have taken the score to 13-22.

As it was, they scored virtually against the run of play five minutes later when the excellent Wright intercepted inside his 22 and although he was caught, scrum-half Ross Bennett had done well to support to touch down at the posts.

Mackay converted again, but Cleve eventually scored their well-deserved try when Mark Parry crossed for Knox to add the extras.

For the next 10 minutes the Weston line was under siege but their defending was perfect with Richard Bignell and skipper George Sparks prominent and they settled matters in the third minute of time added.

A superb 70 metre break by centre Joe Gallagher provided a try for Shaun Eaton who made his debut when replacing the injured Simpson in the 13th minute.

Mackay’s fourth conversion ended the proceedings.

Weston: J Waterman, G Wright, J Gallagher, C Young (J Reid h/t), P Sprague, J Mackay, R Bennnett, D Swann (S Donegan 69), C Withers, S Donegan (S Williams h/t), A Glen, A Russell, G Sparks (c), R Bignell, G Simpson (S Eaton 13).

On Wednesday (23rd) they meet Taunton at Hyde Park in the semi-final of the Somerset Cup (7.30pm) before hosting Redingensians on the 26th (3pm).

Winger Paul Sprague has scored 79 times for the 1st XV and not 70 as previously reported in error.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus