Seasiders slip up at home

Weston slip to defeat in their first home game of the season.

WESTON 10 pts


NOTHING much went right for Weston as they were defeated by three tries to one against Newton Abbot, who were full value for their success.

By the interval, the Devonians were 13 points in front despite facing a stiff wind.

You may also want to watch:

But the Seasiders had started well with Ross Bennett and Chris Young almost putting George Wright in at the right corner. Then Jon Gallagher and Jamie Rudkin made inroads, but James Mackay’s penalty attempt flew wide.

In fact, Mackay had left his kicking boots at Newbury and he was to miss two further shots at goal during the first half.

Most Read

In the meantime, the All-Whites had taken the lead in the 16th minute when fly-half Scott Meakin’s crossfield kick found wing Jan Viscofer in the in-goal area. Josh Smith converted from the touchline and the full-back added two penalties for an interval score of 0-13.

Mackay’s huge kick at the start of the second half gave him the chance to reduce the deficit with a straight penalty, then, as the rain came, Smith was converting his own try after chasing a speculative kick.

By this time Weston were heading for defeat but they fought back when Malcolm Roberts ran a quickly taken penalty from inside his own 22 and the centre sent Matt Watkins sprinting 70 metres down the left touchline for a spectacular score, Mackay converted, but with two minutes remaining visiting lock Brett Stroud’s try put the match beyond doubt.

Weston: C Young, G Wright, M Roberts (J Reid 78), J Gallagher, M Watkins, J Mackay, R Bennett, D Swann, G Cooper (C Withers 59), A Glen, G Sparks (c), J Rudkin, K Hobbs, G Simpson (A Russell 59).

Weston will have to find a new centre partnership for Saturday’s awkward visit to Chippenham. Andrew Evans is still unavailable and Mal Roberts’ hamstring injury could sideline him for a few weeks.

In any event things will have to improve because little headway was made last week, despite a penalty count of 16-10 in their favour.

Weston Utd 9 pts

Avon 14 pts

FOLLOWING last week’s poor performance against Wells, United took on Avon, one of the stronger and more established sides in Somerset Premier.

However, with skipper Stuart Board back at the helm, a much improved display ensured that both sides encountered a highly competitive match.

Early pressure from Avon earned them a penalty, which was cancelled out by George Kimmins’ strike midway through the half. A late penalty for the visitors ensured they led 6-3 at half time.

After the break, a Kimmins penalty brought the scores back level, before a fine piece of play from the Avon scrum-half created an opening for the visitors right wing to cross.

Both sides scored further penalties, and whilst the United pushed hard the Avon defence remained firm and held out for a win to ensure they remained in second place, and Weston were left with just a losing bonus point.

The match was again well officiated, on this occasion by Mark Newell, the ex-Clifton and Bristol scrum-half.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter