Seasiders suffer another one-point defeat

Matt Watkins. Photo by Andrew Collins.

Matt Watkins. Photo by Andrew Collins. - Credit: Archant

Weston suffered their fifth single point defeat of the season, this time away at Bournemouth.

Bournemouth 22 pts

Weston 21 pts

WESTON’S difficult season took another turn for the worse at Bournemouth as they lost by a single point for the fifth time this season.

This was an improved performance, but a combination of wrong options, missed touches, occasional careless errors and some mystifying refereeing decisions which on another day could easily have gone the other way, meant that once again, the much-needed win that was warranted and deserved on the day was not forthcoming.

You may also want to watch:

The visitors took the lead after one minute with a straightforward penalty from Martin Chisholm, but 12 minutes later Bournemouth opened their account with a try under the posts and a 7-3 lead.

Weston lost hooker Hocking to the sin bin, but they responded with a touch down in the far corner from Harry Jones, splendidly converted by Chisholm for a 10-7 lead after 32 minutes.

Most Read

The home side responded 10 minutes later with a corner score which went unconverted and on the stroke of half time, Chisholm kicked a second penalty for a narrow 13-12 lead.

Weston were the quicker team out of the blocks in the second half and concerted pressure in the home 22 resulted in a corner try for Matt Watkins, this time unconverted and an 18-12 lead after 50 minutes. This became 21-12 with Chisholms’ third penalty four minutes later.

The visitors had probably shaded things to this juncture. Their defence had coped pretty easily with Bournemouth’s efforts to smash their way upfield. Russell and Boulger had won the line-out battle and the scrum had the edge over their opposition.

Weston were frustrated during a protracted attack on the home line when, from a series of scrums and line-outs, with thanks to numerous side entries and dragged down mauls, Bournemouth held out.

The rugby gods continued to shine on the home team. They mounted an attack to within 10 metres of the Weston line. A support runner was penalised for crossing and Weston were awarded a scrum (crossing is a penalty offence).

From this ensuing scrum, Weston were mysteriously penalised before the ball was even offered and a gratuitous three points went to the home side from the simple penalty.

Bournemouth scored the decisive try seven minutes from the end from a scrambled forward drive, converted to give a one-point lead. To rub the salt into the wound, the referee blew up early.

Weston: Bennett, Maloney, Chisholm, Edwards, Jones, Tuttiett (Young), Coles, Hocking, Streeter (Price), Hamilton, Boulger, Russell (c), Eaton (Glen), Crossman, Gleason.

This Saturday is a free date for the first and second teams. The Athletic are away at Winscombe, but the Colts entertain Taunton in an interesting fixture at the Recreation Ground (2pm).

THE quarter-final Somerset Cup match between Weston and the University of Bath will be played at the Recreation Ground on February 14. The kick-off time is to be advised.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus