Seconds’ result still to be confirmed

Weston 2nd XI’s result against Taunton Deane is still to be confirmed.

WESTON seconds played out a thrilling game with Taunton Deane with, bizarrely, the result still to be confirmed at the time of writing.

Weston batted first and got off to a flying start as Simon Turner seized on some wayward bowling, before three quick wickets fell. Sam Goodhew (25) joined Turner and the pair set about rebuilding the innings, recovering to 131-5.

With 10 overs to go, Jon Lawrence scored his second 50 of the season from just 39 balls in combining with Turner (57 not out), leading Weston to an above par 202-5 before rain ended the innings an over early.

A lengthy delay over tea, Deane chased a revised target. Sam Loud (35) profited on some erratic early bowling from Dec McNulty (3-0-16-0) and it took the introduction of Ford (8-1-24-2) to break the opening partnership.

You may also want to watch:

Wickets from Curley (4-0-20-1), Goodhew (4-0-18-2) and Weber (3-0-22-1) and further rain delays saw the target adjusted to 129 from 28 overs.

Taking nine from the 28th over, Deane were of the opinion that they were ahead of the game and decided that the rain was too heavy to continue and duly left the field. However, there is some debate to the final result and both teams await the adjudication from WEPL with interest.

Most Read

IntouchCRM man of the match was Jon Lawrence.

IN A game always looking destined to be interrupted by the weather, 3rd XI skipper Tom Dancey had no hesitation in putting in a Bishops Lydeard team strengthened by their first team not having a game into bat upon winning the toss.

Weston opening bowlers Tom Chambers (12-4-34-1) and Stu Roberts (11-1-43-2) bowled well. It took a superb delivery from Roberts to remove skipper Parkman. A change of bowling with Pack (5-1-25-1) being introduced to the attack brought the second wicket.

This brought another first team player in Tom Stone to the crease and he took a liking to the Weston attack. Skipper Dancey introduced himself to the attack and tore through the middle order, including the prize wicket of Stone bowled for 44.

With Dancey finishing with 4-39 from 12 overs and all other bowlers chipping in, Lydeard finished on a competitive 174-8.

In reply, opener Bissex out from the fourth ball of the game and Dan Press was bowled off his own foot. With Harry Wiseman (9) quickly coming and going and a rain break to negotiate, skipper Dancey (25 not out) and Arron Hawkins battened down the hatches.

In the 21st over, the rain again fell and the players left the pitch. It was at this point the skippers decided to shake hands and abandon the game.

IntouchCRM man of the match went to Tom Dancey. However, a huge mention should go to Arron Hawkins who excelled behind the stumps.

THE Eaglets travelled the short distance to play Lympsham 2nd XI and after losing the toss were asked to bowl in what was likely to be a rain-affected match.

Jason Parsons (119) opened the batting for Lympsham and he took no time to dispatch the Weston attack to all parts. Supported by Andy Hall (89), they raced to 200.

Terry Horler (7-0-51-3) made the breakthrough, but by that time the damage was done, and on the fall of the fourth wicket, Lympsham declared after 36 overs on 260-4. Matt Knight was the pick of the bowlers with 9-2-46-1.

Weston’s reply lasted only six overs and at 24-1, the rain came and the captains agreed to abandon the game as a draw.

InTouchCRM man of the match went to Terry Horler.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus