Senior finals day held at Woodland
- Credit: Archant
Woodland Tennis Club held its senior finals day at their headquarters in Woodland Road.
WOODLAND Lawn Tennis Club concluded its summer season with the senior finals day.
The championships started with the men’s Chairman’s Cup singles between Chris Bond and Richard Davies. Richard’s combination of power and severe spin disrupted Chris’ game from the outset and Richard won the title in straight sets.
The ladies’ Chairman’s Cup was a much closer affair. Genevieve Drinkwater played reigning champion Elaine Edwards in a match characterised by long baseline rallies with Elaine retaining her title 3-6, 6-4, 6-3.
Next on court was the men’s President’s Cup singles between Jon Treen and Jamie Allen. Jon took an early lead as the pace of his serve had Jamie on the back foot.
You may also want to watch:
After a rain break, Jamie’s game reasserted itself with the help of the wetter balls which slowed down the pace of the game. Jon maintained his aggressive style to run out a 6-4, 7-6 winner.
The men’s doubles had Richard Davies back on court with Nick Griffiths against Parag Singhal and Stuart Harrington. This was another close match which went to three sets, with Stuart and Parag proving the more consistent of the pairs.
- 1 Gates to be replaced as work continues to reopen Marine Lake
- 2 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 3 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 4 Disruption to school transport due to driver shortage
- 5 Council issues advice after collapse of energy companies
- 6 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 7 People encouraged to have Covid booster to protect them from virus
- 8 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 9 North Somerset runners get ready for London Marathon
- 10 Entries open for Christmas Cracker race on Weston beach
The ladies’ doubles was a little more one-sided. Emma Welch and Claire Norvill took on Henrietta Winters and Shirley Campbell, with Emma and Claire winning in straight sets.
The final match of the day was the mixed doubles. Emma was back playing, this time with Nigel Francis against Chris Bond and Linda Dixon, with Emma and Nigel proving the stronger pair.
Woodland chairman, Les Treen, was delighted with the day. He said: “I don’t remember a finals day where there was such a high standard of play.”
The club now looks forward to the winter league where two of its teams are defending league champions.
For more details on the club and its activities, please contact Judy Cannon on 01934 629819.