Senior men take team prize
- Credit: Archant
Weston Athletic Club senior men took the senior men title at the club’s prom race series.
WESTON Athletic Club senior men’s team celebrated at the five-mile prom race as they were awarded the series team prize for the first time ever.
Guy Bradford, Pete Clark, Chris Old, Dominic Taylor-Jones, David Stock and Kieron Summers, made up the team for the series of nine races.
On the night, Matt Huxtable ran superbly to achieve a personal best of 28.25, as well as being the first male club member to finish. Summers was second in 28.36 with Stock third in 29.16.
Phil Richards once again lead the club ladies home in 33.45, with Nia Davis coming second in 37.30, with third going to Georgie Ford in 38.49. A deserved mention goes to Ian Shillcock, who ran a personal best of 37.36.
You may also want to watch:
Before the main race, the one-mile race recognised 60 years of Roger Bannister breaking the four-minute barrier. Callum Smith won the race in 5.35, with only six seconds to spare before the first girl, Lucy Maine crossed the line in 5.41.
An incredible 34 club runners lined up on the start line for the Tyntesfield 10k which took the runners around the national trust estate.
- 1 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
- 2 Council tax set to rise in North Somerset
- 3 Teenager charged with dangerous driving following collision which injured three people
- 4 Weston Hospicecare postpones Men's March due to possible lockdown extension
- 5 Cosmetics company creates candle to raise cash for Weston Hospicecare
- 6 Community shop seeks new manager
- 7 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 8 Schools advised not to use mass testing as an alternative to isolation
- 9 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 10 Vacant care home to be transformed into seafront flats
Andy Chadburn ran strongly to take first place for the club in 43.20, followed by Tony Hogg in 45.37, with third going to Jim Hayward in 47.58.
With 21 women racing, Cheryl Valentine came out on top finishing first female for the club in 50.44. Sarah Styles came in second in a personal best time of 55.40, with Edel Robbins claiming third in 57.55.
The Wells 10k saw John Oaten finish in 43.19 and first position for the club with Simon Andrews taking second in 47.49. John’s mother and father, Mary and Paul, finished strongly in 54 minutes dead. Vanessa Andrews took second ladies spot for the club in 57.10.
David Stock once again competed in a sprint distance triathlon at Westonbirt, securing third vet prize in 1.08.09 and 13th overall.