Seven goal thriller for Winscombe ladies
- Credit: Archant
Winscombe ladies were on the wrong end of a seven goal thriller against ECVH.
ECVH Ladies 4
Winscombe Ladies 1st XI 3
ECVH’s last-minute goal edged them in front of Winscombe to seal the win in an eventful end-of-season match.
From the whistle, Winscombe quickly demonstrated their skill with effective passing with captain Kelly Clark, Michelle Isgar and Claudia Routhorn-James working hard.
You may also want to watch:
The forwards made good movement but were thwarted until Sarah Holland broke the defence and crossed the ball into the D where Megan Coe netted. ECVH quickly broke back and scored on the break.
However, despite being awarded a few short corners, they were successfully defended by defenders Caitlin Flood, Jo Marsh, Juju O’Sullivan and Routhorn-James, with excellent saves from goalkeeper Kate Walker.
- 1 Fears for Weston General Hospital A&E's future after top doctor resigns
- 2 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 5 Call for action to reduce rising infection rates in secondary schools
- 6 Christmas lights display for Weston Hospicecare
- 7 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 8 Cash and necklaces stolen in Weston-super-Mare burglary
- 9 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 10 North Somerset could join WECA - but faces a four-year wait
Leanne Gardner, man of the match, made many successful tackles and crucial passes, working well with Keri Willis who made some good runs. The first-half ended 2-2, after a fine goal from Isgar.
The second half was a close contest with a great goal from Holland, but with ECVH successfully recovering to take the lead.
The John Hodge Solicitors’ player of the match was Leanne Gardner.
Winscombe 1st XI ‘ player of the match Leanne Gardner.
Frys Ladies 3rd XI 0
Winscombe Ladies 3rd XI 3
THE 3rd XI capped a fine season with a 3-0 win over Frys and a creditable fourth place finish in the table.
Some fantastic attacking play by Sarah Kempster resulted in some excellent goals, which took Winscombe into half-time with a 3-0 lead. Winscombe first goal came from one of several penalty corners. The ball was injected by Jo Hann to George Dix-McGrath to score.
An excellent run and cross by Dix-McGrath was met by Helen Sinclair for the second. A well-placed cross from Emma Whitehead found Hann at the post, who neatly slotted home the third goal.
Fearing an embarrassing scoreline, Fry’s approached the second half with a siege mentality - defending deep in their own half and crowding out their D.
A relentless second-half onslaught by Winscombe failed to increase their lead in spite of pressure from Winscombe forwards, Dix-McGrath, Hannah Hussey and Alice Sloman and domination of the midfield by captain Gill Harvey, Whitehead, Sinclair and Roxy Newman.
On the few occasions Fry’s broke through, Winscombe’s player of match, Ella Byrne was on hand. Keeper Jo Sawtell was also alert was needed.
The John Hodge Solicitors player of the match was Ella Byrne.