Sharks bite back
Wiveliscombe 15 pts Gordano Sharks 21 pts - PLAYING up the substantial slope, Gordano got off to the worst possible start, conceding a converted try straight from the kick off.
Wiveliscombe 15 pts
Gordano Sharks 21 pts
PLAYING up the substantial slope, Gordano got off to the worst possible start, conceding a converted try straight from the kick off.
Despite getting the better of their counterparts in the set pieces, the visitors were pinned in their own half for much of the first period, with Wivvy using the slope towards the corner flag to great effect from the boot.
You may also want to watch:
A penalty and a further try gave the home side a 15-point advantage, and when another kick and chase earned Wiveliscombe a five metre scrum, it looked like things could get even worse.
This proved to be the turning point of the game. Ben Gilmore hooked the ball against the head, and the Sharks ran the ball out of defence and a few phases later the home side were defending their line.
- 1 Weston family who had home transformed featured on DIY SOS
- 2 Businesses refused to reopen after lockdown due to staff safety fears in Weston town centre
- 3 Asymptomatic coronavirus testing pilot starts with college students from next week
- 4 Winter Gardens set to open newly refurbished eatery
- 5 Yatton artist releases charity single with Hamilton star
- 6 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 7 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 8 Doctor resigns from Weston General Hospital's A&E department
- 9 Girl, 11, suffers serious injuries after collision with car
- 10 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
From a powerful driving scrum, Gareth Yandell found his half back partner Aaron French on the charge, and nobody stops him. Matt Poulson added the conversion, to turn around just eight points adrift.
It was Gordano's turn to take advantage of the slope, with French, Poulson and Ed Whittaker keeping Wiveliscombe on the back foot with some fine kicking.
The pressure finally told, and Gordano were awarded a penalty try, for persistent Wivvy infringements, Poulson making it a seven pointer with the kick.
Despite being reduced to 14 men with the sin binning of Jack Thomas, for an aggressive but fair tackle, the home side could not work their way through a stubborn Sharks' defence.
French's second try secured the double over the South Somerset side. Chasing a deft Poulson kick over the defensive line, French charged down the attempted clearance, and won the footrace to the loose ball.
In tight games like this one, you need players who put themselves about, and get in the opposition's faces. Paul Richards was a constant thorn in Wivvy's side, this and his command in the line-outs earned him the Black Horse Inn man of the match accolade.