Sharks bite back
Wiveliscombe 15 pts Gordano Sharks 21 pts - PLAYING up the substantial slope, Gordano got off to the worst possible start, conceding a converted try straight from the kick off.
Wiveliscombe 15 pts
Gordano Sharks 21 pts
PLAYING up the substantial slope, Gordano got off to the worst possible start, conceding a converted try straight from the kick off.
Despite getting the better of their counterparts in the set pieces, the visitors were pinned in their own half for much of the first period, with Wivvy using the slope towards the corner flag to great effect from the boot.
You may also want to watch:
A penalty and a further try gave the home side a 15-point advantage, and when another kick and chase earned Wiveliscombe a five metre scrum, it looked like things could get even worse.
This proved to be the turning point of the game. Ben Gilmore hooked the ball against the head, and the Sharks ran the ball out of defence and a few phases later the home side were defending their line.
- 1 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 4 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 5 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 6 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
- 7 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 8 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Two charged with burglary and fraud
From a powerful driving scrum, Gareth Yandell found his half back partner Aaron French on the charge, and nobody stops him. Matt Poulson added the conversion, to turn around just eight points adrift.
It was Gordano's turn to take advantage of the slope, with French, Poulson and Ed Whittaker keeping Wiveliscombe on the back foot with some fine kicking.
The pressure finally told, and Gordano were awarded a penalty try, for persistent Wivvy infringements, Poulson making it a seven pointer with the kick.
Despite being reduced to 14 men with the sin binning of Jack Thomas, for an aggressive but fair tackle, the home side could not work their way through a stubborn Sharks' defence.
French's second try secured the double over the South Somerset side. Chasing a deft Poulson kick over the defensive line, French charged down the attempted clearance, and won the footrace to the loose ball.
In tight games like this one, you need players who put themselves about, and get in the opposition's faces. Paul Richards was a constant thorn in Wivvy's side, this and his command in the line-outs earned him the Black Horse Inn man of the match accolade.