Short croquet at Nailsea
CROQUET - NAILSEA and District Croquet Club held their short croquet competition on Saturday in glorious sunshine.
NAILSEA and District Croquet Club held their short croquet competition on Saturday in glorious sunshine.
The conditions were difficult with fast lawns and challenging hoop approach areas. There were eight entrants, divided into two blocks of four. The closest match was between Kathy Wallace and Brigit Clayton. This was level when time was called and was decided by a golden hoop, handsomely won by Brigit.
Newcomer Alan Longdon gave a good account of himself with a narrow defeat and a win. Rob Royffe and Carl Jones won all their matches and were outright winners of their blocks. The other players all won one match each so the second positions had to be decided on nett points. On this basis, Chris Jackson and Kathy Wallace claimed the remaining semi-finals places.
There are still places available on the beginners' courses which will be commencing shortly. For more information, contact Jim Gregory on 01275 854925
You may also want to watch:
On Sunday, in their first Federation League match of the season, the Nailsea (North) team won an away match, beating the Bear of Rodborough by three games to two.
Results - doubles: David Hunt & Kathy Wallace won +20. Singles:Geoff Hughes lost -24 & won +13; David Hunt lost -1T (16-17); Kathy Wallace won +26.
- 1 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 2 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 3 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 4 End of busy summer with more events to look forward to
- 5 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 6 FA Cup: Weston AFC cruise past Taunton Town to reach third qualifying round
- 7 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 8 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 9 Proposal for 96 new homes in Cheddar
- 10 CCTV appeal after man seriously assaulted in Weston
Meanwhile, in the Intermediate League, Nailsea (SE) lost at home to Abbey Croquet Club (Glastonbury) by four games to one.
Results - doubles: Mary Barnes & Brigit Clayton lost -5T (5-10). Singles: Rob Royffe won +8T (17-9) & lost -14; Linda Shaw lost -1T (15-16); Brigit Clayton lost -14T (9-23).
Over the weekend, three players took part in an open golf croquet tournament at Sidmouth. Marcus Evans and Ryan Cabble won their respective blocks on Saturday and both Nailsea players reached the final of the knockout on Sunday, which Marcus won by two games to one.