Silver for Lele
Lele Nairn earns silver in the Heart of England international judo competition.
LELE Nairne (13) from Kewstoke, who is a pupil at the Priory Community School in Worle, fought in the Heart of England international judo competition and won the silver medal in the band C under 57kg category.
This was the first time she had fought in the band C category and dominated her final fight until the last 10 seconds, when the much older and experienced champion and number one player took the winning point to get the gold medal.
Dad and coach Kevin Nairne said: “Going up an age band is a difficult experience for top players such as Lele and a real learning curve.”
Lele spent a large proportion of the summer training and attending top training events such as the British judo squad camp.
You may also want to watch:
Although Lele now has to travel to find the right calibre of competition to train with, she still trains at Weston Judo Club on Tuesday evenings, where she is mentored by her top supporter and head coach, Rich Steven.
The club has a few spaces for those who may be interested in learning judo. For more information, please contact Vicky Newton on 01934 843276.
- 1 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 4 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 5 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 6 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
- 7 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 8 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Two charged with burglary and fraud