Silver for Lele
Lele Nairn earns silver in the Heart of England international judo competition.
LELE Nairne (13) from Kewstoke, who is a pupil at the Priory Community School in Worle, fought in the Heart of England international judo competition and won the silver medal in the band C under 57kg category.
This was the first time she had fought in the band C category and dominated her final fight until the last 10 seconds, when the much older and experienced champion and number one player took the winning point to get the gold medal.
Dad and coach Kevin Nairne said: “Going up an age band is a difficult experience for top players such as Lele and a real learning curve.”
Lele spent a large proportion of the summer training and attending top training events such as the British judo squad camp.
You may also want to watch:
Although Lele now has to travel to find the right calibre of competition to train with, she still trains at Weston Judo Club on Tuesday evenings, where she is mentored by her top supporter and head coach, Rich Steven.
The club has a few spaces for those who may be interested in learning judo. For more information, please contact Vicky Newton on 01934 843276.
- 1 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 2 Weston couple awarded British Empire Medal for supporting others in pandemic
- 3 Royal Mail reviewing town sorting office closure
- 4 Appeal to find missing teenager Ruben
- 5 Majority of Covid cases in North Somerset caused by Delta variant
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 8 Somerset has best Covid vaccine rate for both doses
- 9 PICTURES: Clear summer skies and solar eclipse in North Somerset
- 10 Woman dies at Weston cemetery