Simon wins presitigious Jubilee Cup at Worlebury

Jubilee Cup winners at Worlebury.

Jubilee Cup winners at Worlebury. - Credit: Archant

Club champion Simon Dempsey won the prestigious Jubilee Cup at Worlebury, an event played over 36 holes in one day.

The Jubilee Cup and Shield ranks next to the club championship as the most prestigious men’s competition at Worlebury. It is the only event played over 36 holes in the same day.

A good field turned out in ideal conditions for golf, although the heat and rigours of the second round took its toll on some of the field.

Reigning club champion and course record holder Simon Dempsey won the gross competition and the Jubilee Shield comfortably. His 38 points in the morning gave him a slight lead, with Josh Freeman, head greenkeeper Tim Needham, Jim Walton and Pete Gilpin, all snapping at his heels.

While his nearest challengers gradually fell away, Dempsey, despite sportingly calling a two shot penalty on himself for raking a bunker before playing his ball, maintained his consistency in the afternoon, returning 35 points to win by six. Needham was runner-up with Gilpin taking third place.

You may also want to watch:

Walton set the pace in the morning in the nett competition for the Jubilee Cup, with 42 points. Needham was in second place with 40 and eventual winner Rich Godwin, along with a number of players, third, on 39 points.

While the others fell by the wayside in the afternoon, Godwin bagged 37 points giving him a total of 76 to narrowly win the cup by a single point. Jack Allen was second on countback, having two solid rounds of 38 and 37. With Dempsey’s nett score being discounted, Needham and Gilpin finished third and fourth respectively.

Most Read

Although many struggled in the afternoon, Avalon Royal’s captain John Melwani, had an excellent 42 points and is worthy of mention. There was cause for celebration too in the second round for five handicapper Ryan Jones, who had a hole-in-one on the 173-yard, sixth.

The second round of the Pro Trophy qualifier was narrowly won by David Grant, his fine nett 67 beating Joe Joyce by one shot. Craig Conway took third place on countback from Mark Burland, Andy Collard and Ben Main.

Professional Gary Marks went out at the end of the field and in heavy rain, shot a 73, allowing only 13 players to qualify for the final.

The winner of the ladies’ Daisy Payne Cup is the player who is furthest round the course having used up their full handicap. The winner was Emma Bourton, who finished 20 centimetres closer to the 18th pin, than Lynn Pope. Emma is in a rich vein of form, this being her third win in the last four weeks.

The seniors entertained Minehead and Isle of Wedmore and ran out convincing winners on both occasions.

Competing for the Rod Rufus Memorial Trophy against Minehead, Worlebury will take a commanding 5-1 lead into the second leg. While John Hobbs and Barry Newson’s 6&4 win was the most convincing, in squeezing home one up, Stuart Macivor and John Yates’s part was vital in creating a comfortable cushion for the second leg.

The match against Isle of Wedmore was marked by several good performances by the team and a fine 5-3 win. The visitors were generous in their praise for the quality of the course, the dining and of course the company.

The Stragglers entertained the police in a social match and arrested a poor run of form with a narrow victory.

A hole-in-one on the 14th hole was still not enough to help Tony Barry win the Weston seniors’ Salmon and Vets Cup.

That honour went to Robert Filer, who won the trophy with 41 points from Peter Alcock by just one shot. Third place with 39 points went to past captain Steve Corrick, a recent addition to the seniors ranks.

The mixed friendly return match against Stover was played in great spirit. Many comments were received from the visitors regarding the fine condition of the greens, fairways and catering. Weston were victorious on this occasion and won six matches out of the nine played.

The ladies played a foursomes match with some entering the Australian Spoons competition. The winners with 37 points were Sue Andow and Carole Menzies. Runners-up Di Brown and Tessa Williams came in with 34 and Anne Blannin and Jean Cooper were third with 33.

Weston past captains Scott McKechnie and Julie Ward presented a cheque for £2,800 to Wendy Atkinson, a volunteer for Breast Cancer Care, for funds raised during their year.

A Hint of Pink Summer Ball and a charity walk at Stourhead were the notable fund raising events greatly supported by club members.

In an unusual bit of fixture planning, both Brean Avalon teams had away games against the same opposition, but in their respective divisions.

They both made the lengthy trip to Frome to take on their Orchardleigh opponents, with the Division 5 side having the better result of the two teams with a 3-2 win.

The Division 2 side were on the wrong end of the same scoreline against their opposition, but captain Steve Bateman was happy with a useful away points haul.

The winning pairs for Brean were the aforementioned Bateman with Pete Barton, and club captain Andy Thomas with his predecessor Stuart Wills collecting the other win.

Jim McLauchlan and Pete Douglas led the way after the opening round of seniors’ Captain’s Cup series. They both returned nett 66s in the first of the four-round event with McLauchlan getting the nod on countback for first place on the day.

Bob Toller came out on top in the battle of the Bobs for third place as he beat Bob Hurrell on countback after they both scored 68s.

Pete Barton got off to an amazing birdie, birdie, birdie start in his round in the Midweek Stableford and also added two more birdies later in his round of 44 points.

Unfortunately for Barton, Steve Eley was also in top form and matched Barton’s 44-point total.

The countback system was deployed and Eley was declared the winner on the back nine as the pair held a comfortable advantage of third placed John Rabbetts, who scored 38.

The Pro Shop Stableford proved to be a day of low scoring in the excellent conditions. Roger Phillips handed in a score of 44 points over the 18 holes, but still needed a countback to secure the win.

Martyn Brown matched the score but lost out on the back nine to Phillips. Third place went to late starter Matt Haskins with 43. Mel Brown was fourth on 42.

After the points fest of the previous day, only one player topped the 40-point mark in Sunday’s event. That player was Tony Groves and his 42-point haul saw him end seven points clear of his nearest rival. Runner-up was Nigel Hodges who defeated Andy Chapple on a countback for second.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus