Singles victories for husband and wife
- Credit: Archant
The indoor singles championships at Victoria were won by husband and wife John and Sue Newman.
THE indoor season at Victoria reached its climax in the final week with a good spread of trophy winners throughout the club.
However, pride of place must go to the Newman household where Sue Newman beat Carol Willetts in the ladies’ singles and husband John secured the men’s singles in a close match against club captain Mike Manning. John and Sue were also members of the victorious mixed triples team the Diamonds.
Malcolm Campbell was crowned the pairs champion by winning the men’s pairs with Brian Stock and partnering Annie Holland to capture the mixed pairs title, narrowly beating husband and wife team John and Sue Newman.
Mildred Chudley was successful in three competitions, being a member of the Diamonds mixed triples and the Larks ladies’ triples and also partnering Annie Holland to win the ladies’ pairs against Carol Willetts and Margaret Hillman.
You may also want to watch:
Championship knockout winners: Kestrels (D Jones, A Shattock, M Manning, Brian Stock); runners-up: Avocets (M George, G Richards, C Chudley, T Gatehouse). Men’s triples knockout: Alpha (J Newman, E Sage, D Williams); Hotel: (P Newport, T Gatehouse, M Taylor). Mixed triples league: Diamonds (S Newman, S Milliner, M Chudley, J Newman, C Chudley); Amethysts: M Hillman, J Mills, C Sage, E Sage, J Turton). Ladies’ triples: Larks (M Chudley, E Newport, C Willetts); Sparrows (S Newman, R Bailey, C Webb).
Men’s singles: J Newman; M Manning. Men’s pairs: M Campbell, B Stock; T Gilbert, R Sparkes. Mixed pairs: A Holland, M Campbell; S Newman, J Newman. Ladies’ singles: S Newman; C Willetts. Ladies’ pairs: A Holland, M Chudley; C Willetts, M Hillman.
- 1 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 2 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 3 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 4 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 5 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 6 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 7 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
- 8 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 9 Puxton Park to open trampoline park, gym and segway course
- 10 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
THE Lions Club of Worle is pleased to support the Visually Impaired Open Singles Bowls Tournament at Clarence Park Bowls Club between May 2 to 5.
The event starts at 9.30am until 5.30pm. For further information, contact 0845 833 9862.
CLARENCE Bowls Club is looking to recruit new players for the coming season.
The club runs two men’s teams in the Somerset County League and two in the Somerset Over-60s League, while there are two ladies’ teams playing at the Clarence Park venue.
Coaching is available and there is a pavilion with excellent facilities and the club has just been voted Bowls England club of the year.
For more information, phone the clubhouse on 01934 632748 or visit the website: www.clarencebowlsclub.org