Six runners dip under 30 minutes
Six Weston Athletic Club members dipped under the 30-minute mark at the latest five-mile prom run.
WESTON Athletic Club runners pulled out all the stops to see six club members cross the line in under 30 minutes at the club’s March five-mile prom run.
Dominic Taylor-Jones was first in 28.15, closely followed by Kieron Summers in 28.22 and Pete Clark and Nick Briffitt, both in 29.06. David Stock and Guy Bradford completed the sub-30 line-up in 29.18 and 29.23.
The marathon training is certainly doing no harm over shorter distances either, with new personal bests set by Dominic, Kieron, Nick and Guy.
Tamara Bourne was the first club woman to finish in 37.16, followed by Julie Bailiss and Helen Diamond both completing the race in 41.42 and also beating their previous times.
You may also want to watch:
Also earning a personal best at the race was Simon Andrews who finished in 35.51.
The next races in the prom series take place on April 24. The one-mile race starts at 6.45pm, and is free for junior runners aged seven to under 16. It is followed by the main five-mile Weston Prom Run at 7.30pm.
- 1 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 4 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 5 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 6 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 7 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
- 8 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Puxton Park to open trampoline park, gym and segway course
Runners can enter on the night at the race HQ at the Pavilion Bar, Knightstone Road, and find out more at www.westonac.co.uk
Nine Weston members ventured over the Severn to compete in the Forest of Dean half marathon.
An off-road race along the trails and amongst the trees, Ian Shillcock and Andy Chadburn finished together in 2.00.34. This was a great achievement for Ian in his first race following a kidney transplant last year.
Next over the line was Wilfred Huxtable in 2.01.06, with Ruth Green being the first lady home for the club in 1.59.10. Emma Taylor was second lady in 2.15.27.
Down in South Somerset, Neale Jarrett was the only club member to race the Yeovil half marathon, finishing in a respectable time of 1.30.14 and fourth in his age category.
A warm-up for the sprint triathlon season, Phil Tomlinson and Kira Thorpe competed in the Burnham Aquathlon. Phil finished in an impressive second place overall, just four seconds adrift from the winner in 27.12. Kira finished in 31.14 and third in her age category.