Skiers raise funds for charity
- Credit: Archant
Avon Ski Club members presented a cheque for £800 to the charity Snowcamp.
MEMBERS from Avon Ski Club were delighted to hand over a cheque for £800 to the charity Snowcamp.
A large contingent of the clubs young skiers set out to ski the height of Everest on a sponsored basis. The event was held on a hot day and the 55 laps of the ski centre at Mendip Snowsport Centre proved to be exceptionally tiring.
Snowcamp is a charity that gives children from inner city backgrounds the chance to experience the various disciplines needed in snow sports.
Snowcamp held their first-ever camp at the centre over two days, and one of their patron/ambassadors, Olympic medal-winning Jenny Jones was on hand to provide feedback and to run a session.
You may also want to watch:
Chairman of Avon Ski Club, Fraser Black, said: “While the club itself is often trying to raise funds and support for the young club members, they are also keen to give back and support where they can.”
This year the club are going to hold a sponsored event even more challenging, and are choosing to support Disability Snowsports UK, another related charity.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 3 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 4 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 5 Plan to build £30million second school site approved
- 6 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 7 Ed Sheeran announces huge UK tour
- 8 North Somerset's garden waste service to resume with collections every four weeks
- 9 Pet store to relocate to new unit
- 10 Fine food and drink on offer at biggest ever eat:Weston festival
Avon Ski Club hold regular sessions every Tuesday night from 6-8pm at the Mendip Snowsport Centre, and are more than happy to host any interested schools. Contact email@example.com for further information.