Skiers return from Bulgarian race camp
- Credit: Archant
Avon Ski Club has just returned from a half-term race training camp in Bulgaria.
AVON Ski Club has just returned from a half-term race training camp in Bulgaria.
The team of seven children and two coaches teamed up with Bulgaria’s top race club, Chamkoria Ski Club and their national coach, as well as a number of national team skiers.
Training for eight days, the camp included easy exercises for the first couple of days and then speed work for a couple of days with all the children hitting speeds of around 80kph, including youngest racer Callum Blac, aged eight.
There were some excellent runs from Maddy Brown and Lauren Black and great improvements from Paige Thomas and Aimee Thomas-Jeffries, and with debutant George Sommerfield tearing up the course, the only skiers to go faster were some of the local Chamkoria racers.
You may also want to watch:
At the same time, the club also had three members racing in the English Championships in Bormio. George Case came second by 7/100s of a second in the under-12 GS, and Max Schubert was six th in the under-10 GS.
Darcie Coates, competing as the younger of the two years in her age group was 20th and 18th in the two runs of the under-14 GS, and 16th in the combined slalom.
- 1 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
- 2 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 3 Civic society 'appalled' by new health centre proposed site
- 4 Mike begins monumental challenge for Weston-super-Mare causes
- 5 Secondary school to expand to second site expected to cost £30million
- 6 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 7 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
- 8 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 9 Housing development for greenfield site in Nailsea approved
- 10 Teenager charged with dangerous driving following collision which injured three people
Avon Ski Club is delighted to be supported by Rossignol and Leki, as well as local companies RM Signs and Stephen Jabs Painters.
The club is based at the newly-renamed Mendip Snowsports Centre and runs training for children up to the age of 18 on a Tuesday between 6-7.45pm.
The club are keen to establish joint ventures with local schools or individuals who wish to give ski racing a go. Contact Fraser Black on 01934 427534 or via the centre directly on 01934 852335.