Skiers win SW gold medals
- Credit: Archant
Avon Ski Club members enjoyed success in the third annual South West Schools Skiing Championships.
AVON Ski Club supported nine schools in the third annual South West Schools Skiing Championships, held at the newly-extended slope at Gloucester.
This year 185 children took part, a 50 per cent increase on last year.
The contest was split into two halves, each age group had three timed runs with the fastest two added together to provide the result. Under the new rules from Snowsport England, the primary age groups raced through stubby poles and the secondary age group through full poles.
Callum Black, from Worlebury St Pauls Primary, won the gold medal for coming first out of 40 competitors in the years three and four age group, winning by a margin of nearly a second.
You may also want to watch:
Madeline Brown from Churchill Community School won gold in the girls’ years eight and nine, again comfortably Lauren Black from Priory Community Academy won the silver in girls’ years seven and eight.
Paige Thomas won silver in girls’ years five and six, George Case won silver in boy’s years five and six and Sam Love won bronze in the primary school competition alongside George Case.
- 1 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
- 2 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 3 Civic society 'appalled' by new health centre proposed site
- 4 Mike begins monumental challenge for Weston-super-Mare causes
- 5 Secondary school to expand to second site expected to cost £30million
- 6 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 7 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
- 8 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 9 Housing development for greenfield site in Nailsea approved
- 10 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
Avon Ski Club also supported pupils from Backwell School, Chew Valley Secondary, Worle Community School and Herons Moor Primary and Avonmouth Primary.
Having also started the Summer Race League season, the club has hit the season in a great turn of form.
Avon Ski Club is also excited to be hosting a Head-sponsored race camp at the Mendip Snowsports Centre, being led by the ex-England children’s coach Phil Brown, and their new head coach Hedley Beavis, on May 29-31.
This is open to anyone interested in ski racing. Please contact email@example.com or call 017724 594676 for more information.