Social doubles at Burnham
Avenue Tennis Club in Burnham held their first Sunday social tournament of the year.
THE first Sunday social tournament of the year at the Avenue Tennis Club, Burnham, saw 21 players turn up to compete.
The teams played seven service game matches trying to achieve as many game wins as possible. After three matches of seven, the teams were paired up in order of the amount of games won.
This meant there was a total of 14 points to win in the last two matches and this gave everyone a good chance of winning.
The eventual winners were Jo Brown and Avenue tennis coach, Craig Phillips who won the tournament with 26 points, closely followed in second place by Dave (Scooby) Vennall and Charlie Lee (Wellington), with joint third place taken by ladies’ captain, Lynn O’Dell and Carl Puzey (Wellington) and club coach, Barry Ramsden and Geoff Lee (Wellington).
You may also want to watch:
Head coach Vinny Duddy thanked everyone for attending, especially the players who had turned up from Wellington and reminded everyone that the next adult social doubles tournament at the club would be held on February 26 from 11am.
Duddy will be running mini red (Under-8), mini orange (eight to nine) and mini green tournaments at the club on February 12 and asked that anyone wishing to play contact him at the club on 01278 782758.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 3 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 4 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 5 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 6 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 7 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 8 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Puxton Park to open trampoline park, gym and segway course
The club will also be running a junior tennis camp from February 13-17 during the school holidays from 9am to 4pm, where children will be taught how to play tennis by qualified LTA coaches. Forms are available from the club or the website at www.avenuetennis.com
The club also runs coaching sessions for juniors every night of the week and on Saturdays for every age group. Details are available from the website or the office.