Somerset Rebels reach the Premier League cup final
- Credit: Archant
The Somerset Rebels defeated Edinburgh to reach the final of the Premier League KO Cup final.
THE Cases Somerset Rebels have won through to the Premier League KO Cup final by beating Edinburgh on aggregate 100-80 in their semi-final replay.
After emphatically winning the first leg at the Oaktree Arena 58-32, the Rebels kept things tight in the opening heats of the return leg at the Scotwaste Arena, the Scottish side never being able to claw back any more than eight points of Somerset’s first leg lead.
With the tie virtually won, the Rebels did not need to force the issue in the final couple of heats, Edinburgh eventually running out 48-42 victors on the night, leaving the Rebels travelling back to the West Country with a cup final against Rye House to look forward to.
The first leg will be at the Oaktree Arena tomorrow evening (Fri), with the second leg at Rye House on October 6.
You may also want to watch:
“The boys did an excellent job tonight,” said a delighted Garry May, the Rebels team manager. “They knew they could not let Edinburgh get a foothold in the match and the longer we kept it tight, so the pressure built on the Monarchs.”
The Rebels have already won two trophies this year, the Premier League pairs championship and one for finishing top of the Premier League table.
- 1 Fears for Weston General Hospital A&E's future after top doctor resigns
- 2 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 3 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 4 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 5 Call for action to reduce rising infection rates in secondary schools
- 6 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 7 Christmas lights display for Weston Hospicecare
- 8 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 9 Cash and necklaces stolen in Weston-super-Mare burglary
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
The Rebels have picked the Newcastle Diamonds and Redcar Bears as their group opponents in the semi-final stages of the Premier League Championship-deciding play-offs, leaving Ipswich, Edinburgh and Workington to contest the other group.
With each team in the respective groups to face each other home and away, the Somerset promotion have moved quickly to confirm the dates of their matches, these being – October 3: Redcar v Somerset; October 4: Somerset v Redcar; October 11: Somerset v Newcastle; October 13: Newcastle v Somerset.
The winner of each group will race off over two legs in the grand final. Winners of the final are crowned Premier League champions.