Sophie picked for MCC young cricketer’s programme
- Credit: Archant
Lympsham cricketer has been selected as part of the MMCC Women’s Young Cricketers programme.
PROMISING Lympsham cricketer Sophie Luff has been selected as part of the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) Women’s Young Cricketers programme for 2015.
Twenty-one-year-old Sophie is one of nine of the country’s brightest prospects to be given the opportunity to train at the home of cricket throughout the year, under the tutelage of Lancashire women and girls’ development officer, Jen Laycock and former England international Jan Godman.
Luff, who has also represented England Women’s Under-19s, will be available to represent MCC women in fixtures during 2015
The programme supports 18 to 22-year-olds with potential outside of the ECB and major county frameworks to achieve elite levels of cricket in the medium term.
You may also want to watch:
As part of the program, players work on a one to one basis with Laycock, Godman and other elite coaches throughout the winter and come together for a number of training camps and MCC matches during the summer.
MCC women’s young cricketers head coach, Jen Laycock, said: “The scheme is a great way for talented girls like Sophie to develop their games alongside other important life skills.”
- 1 Gates to be replaced as work continues to reopen Marine Lake
- 2 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 3 Disruption to school transport due to driver shortage
- 4 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 5 Council issues advice after collapse of energy companies
- 6 North Somerset runners get ready for London Marathon
- 7 Procession held at beach memorial to give thanks to NHS
- 8 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 9 Go Again complete sponsored walk from Ashton Gate to Optima
- 10 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
Notable ‘graduates’ from the MCC women’s young cricketers scheme include England regulars Heather Knight, Sarah Taylor and Danni Wyatt.