Sophie picked for MCC young cricketer’s programme
- Credit: Archant
Lympsham cricketer has been selected as part of the MMCC Women’s Young Cricketers programme.
PROMISING Lympsham cricketer Sophie Luff has been selected as part of the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) Women’s Young Cricketers programme for 2015.
Twenty-one-year-old Sophie is one of nine of the country’s brightest prospects to be given the opportunity to train at the home of cricket throughout the year, under the tutelage of Lancashire women and girls’ development officer, Jen Laycock and former England international Jan Godman.
Luff, who has also represented England Women’s Under-19s, will be available to represent MCC women in fixtures during 2015
The programme supports 18 to 22-year-olds with potential outside of the ECB and major county frameworks to achieve elite levels of cricket in the medium term.
You may also want to watch:
As part of the program, players work on a one to one basis with Laycock, Godman and other elite coaches throughout the winter and come together for a number of training camps and MCC matches during the summer.
MCC women’s young cricketers head coach, Jen Laycock, said: “The scheme is a great way for talented girls like Sophie to develop their games alongside other important life skills.”
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 3 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 4 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 5 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 6 North Somerset online choir to bring Christmas cheer
- 7 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 8 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 9 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
Notable ‘graduates’ from the MCC women’s young cricketers scheme include England regulars Heather Knight, Sarah Taylor and Danni Wyatt.