South West medals for ski club members
- Credit: Archant
Avon Ski Club members enjoyed a successful South West of England Schools Championships at Gloucester.
AVON Ski Club, based at Mendip Snowsports Centre in Churchill, sent and supported the largest entry of racers at the recent South West of England Schools Championships, held at the artificial ski slope in Gloucester.
With 15 registered club members and eight members of the Sport England funded satellite club, this easily exceeded the next largest entry.
The club entry consisted of pupils from seven local secondary schools and seven primary schools, and finished up with a great selection of podiums and medals.
In the schools team category, Churchill Academy were narrowly beaten into second place by Millfield School, an outstanding result, with Maddy Brown taking second place in the female year 11/12/13 category, Toby Bowden taking second in the male year 11/12/13 category, and Charlotte Belton taking fifth in the female 11/12/13 category.
You may also want to watch:
The new Priory Academy Ski Team, saw Lauren Black take first place in the female year 7/8, Kirsty McKenzie take third in the female years 9/10, Nathan Langdon take the top novice position, and Bradley Lucas and Will Bailey take 10th and 15th in the year 7/8 male category, giving them a splendid fourth place overall in the secondary schools teams category.
In the primary schools competition, Oliver Mathew, year 5/6, was first overall followed by Callum Black, a year 5 at Worlebury Primary, who was fourth in the year 5/6 category, William Milkins second in year 3/4 and his sister Tabitha Milkins fourth, Nick Moody year 5/6 was sixth, Leo Sydenham sixth in year 3/4 , Eoin Austen from Sandford Primary coming 15th in his first race, and Oil Ingram from Herons Moor finishing ninth in year 3/4
- 1 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 2 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 3 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 4 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 5 Entries open for Christmas Cracker race on Weston beach
- 6 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 7 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 8 Last chance to share your views on proposed relocation of Weston GP practice
- 9 Hornets' Richardson doesn't take notice of results ahead of Old Centralians
- 10 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
The next event on the horizon is a three-day training camp at the Mendip Snowsports Centre being run by the ex-head of the British children’s team, Phil Brown, between May 28-30, which is open to all skiers who have at least trained with poles.
With George Case having recently acquired the necessary criteria for selection to the England Under-14 squad, the future is looking good.
Anyone interested in joining in with regular training or who would like to have a go as an introduction to training, please either phone Fraser Black on 07721 594676, or come along on Tuesdays between 6-8pm.