Who would make your England starting XI?
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
England boss Gareth Southgate has named his 23-man World Cup squad - but who should make the starting XI against Tunisia?
Joe Hart was a notable omission from Southgate’s 23-man squad, with Burnley’s fit-again stopper Tom Heaton one of five players on stand-by, along with James Tarkowski – who subsequently pulled out with injury – Lewis Cook, Jake Livemore and Adam Lallana.
“With Joe, we’ve got three other goalkeepers who have had very good seasons,” said Southgate.
“The decision I was faced with was do I keep Joe in and have experience around the group? Or give the three guys who have basically had a better season a chance? We felt the players all needed to be in on merit after their performances this season.
“History tells us that one of those standby players may end up in the squad, as it’s very unusual for us to get through the end of the season and our two preparation games without any issues.
You may also want to watch:
“All of the guys on standby have been really professional in their approach to this. They recognise there’s still an opportunity and we’ve had a lot of conversations over a period of time with them about their situation.”
England start their World Cup campaign against Tunisia on June 18, followed by Group G clashes against Panama and Belgium.
- 1 Weston town centre to undergo 'facelift' next month
- 2 RNLI believes return to Birnbeck Island 'the most credible option' for Weston
- 3 CNM Estates purchase Birnbeck Pier with new company
- 4 Weston woman celebrates 105th birthday
- 5 Parents 'in tears' over Weston school's generous fuel fund
- 6 Work begins on Weston's £20million broadband investment
- 7 Housing groups preparing application to build medical centre in village
- 8 Weston site to offer more coronavirus tests for people with symptoms
- 9 Weston café raising funds to deliver meals to frontline workers
ENGLAND’S 23-MAN WORLD CUP SQUAD:
Jack Butland, Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Gary Cahill, Phil Jones, Harry Maguire, Danny Rose, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, Ashley Young, Eric Dier, Dele Alli, Jordan Henderson, Fabian Delph, Jesse Lingard, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Raheem Sterling, Danny Welbeck, Jamie Vardy.