Sparks’ two tries not enough to prevent defeat
- Credit: Archant
Weston slipped to their seventh successive league defeat against Old Centralians.
OLD CENTRALIANS 33 pts
WESTON 19 pts
BACK in October, Centralians were swept aside by 67 points to eight at the Recreation Ground, but it was a completely different story last Saturday when a poor defensive performance sent them to their seventh successive league defeat.
Centralians’ Painswick Road ground was unfit, resulting in the match being transferred to the artificial pitch at Hartpury College.
You may also want to watch:
The Seasiders’ defence was breached twice during the opening quarter for 12-0 before persistent pressure was rewarded with a try by George Sparks.
James Mackay converted but by the break, Centralians were 26-7 ahead from a further brace of converted tries.
- 1 Businesses refused to reopen after lockdown due to staff safety fears in Weston town centre
- 2 Weston family who had home transformed featured on DIY SOS
- 3 Asymptomatic coronavirus testing pilot starts with college students from next week
- 4 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 5 Winter Gardens set to open newly refurbished eatery
- 6 Girl, 11, suffers serious injuries after collision with car
- 7 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 8 Yatton artist releases charity single with Hamilton star
- 9 Doctor resigns from Weston General Hospital's A&E department
- 10 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
Although the Seasiders were now playing with the wind advantage, they conceded another seven points just two minutes into the second half.
But the visitors fought back again with the outstanding Sparks’ second try, converted by Mackay who also added the extras to a try by Andrew Glen from a driven line-out.
Weston are now in ninth position in National 3 South West and they will need to record a victory over the ever-improving Chippenham at the Recreation Ground on Saturday (2.30pm).
Weston: K Middlemiss, T Bellak, S Smee, S Edwards, M Watkins, J Mackay, R Bennett, D Swann (c), C Withers, D Price, A Glen, D Bufton, A Russell, P Morrissey, G Sparks. Replacements used: S Donegan, S Fisher, R Mackay.