St John slip up to late goal

generic picture

generic picture - Credit: Archant

Weston St Johns lost narrowly to Cheddar Reserves with a goal in injury time.

Weston St Johns 3

Cheddar Res 4

SAINTS went into the new season in good sprits after a good pre-season.

With seven debutants, Saints looked a different team from last year and they started slowly and found themselves 1-0 down after Jordan Cook scored from a free kick by Mike Goldney. Saints woke up and started to dominate the game, with Evans and Smith both going close.

You may also want to watch:

St Johns, marshalled by new skipper Whittaker kept the ball well with Evans, Lewis and Underhill working hard in the middle. Saints gave away another cheap free kick and Cheddar veteran Gary Dann scored to put the visitors 2-0 up.

After the break, a goalkeeping error saw Saints go 3-0 down. They changed formation and from Lewis’ cross, Whittaker headed home, but the goal was ruled offside. Soon after, Evans’ through ball was finished off by Smith, who then added his second goal.

Most Read

Underhill’s pass found Smith again, who completed a debut hat-trick, but in injury time, Cheddar’s John Edwards hit Saints with a sucker punch.

Mike Whittaker’s building contractors man of the match was Craig Smith.

Kewstoke Lions 2

Nailsea Utd Res 0

FOLLOWING last season’s promotion back to county football, Kewstoke’s pre-season preparations were far from ideal for various reasons, but an opening day victory and a clean sheet was the perfect start.

The game was a scrappy affair with a goal-less first-half and the deadlock was almost broken, but for a fine save by the Nailsea keeper from the penalty spot.

Kewstoke took the lead when a Sam Davies corner was attacked by debutant Scott Daniels and later doubled when Ryan Fieldhouse played in Aaron Bray, who knocked it past the advancing keeper.

Kewstoke’s back four of Hearne, Brueford, Hay and the Windsor Castle man of the match Scott Daniels, were solid throughout.

Congresbury 3

Frome Collegians 3

CONGRESBURY opened their season with a well-deserved draw against Frome Collegians.

Congresbury got off to a good start and took an early lead when a James Brafield cross was fired home by Ross Stockhall. Frome rallied after going a goal down, but found Congresbury defenders Dan Pepworth, Brian Wrigley, Rich Carnell and Murray Lister in good form, backed up by keeper Danny Bullock.

The score became 2-0 when a superb pass from Ben Marsh found Tony Tuckfield, who smashed the ball into the net. Frome had their best chance to score when they were awarded a penalty, but the strike hit the bar and was cleared.

The second half started with Congresbury conceding a succession of needless free-kicks and from one of these Frome pulled a goal back and equalised soon after. More sloppy defending resulted in another penalty to give Frome an unlikely 3-2 lead.

Congresbury equalised when Tuckfield scored from Marsh’s through ball. Both sides had further chances as the game ended in a draw.

Tuckfield Construction man of the match was Ross Stockhall.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter