Stef defends her single title
Stef Branfield of Clevedon, will be defending her unified singles title in the 59th Weston Ladies’ Open Bowls tournament
STEF Branfield of Clevedon, Bowls England’s Young Lady Bowler of the Year in 2011, will be defending her unified singles title in the 59th Weston Ladies’ Open Bowls tournament, which starts at Clarence Park on Sunday.
She has a formidable first-round opponent, ex-Clarence star Barrie Forse, now playing for Weston St Andrews.
Branfield was runner-up in the main singles event last year to Gloucester Spa’s Gill Fry, who starts the defence of her title on Monday afternoon against former champion Ann White (Bristol Arrow).
St Andrews’ Jackie Ware and Meg Favis, who have won the pairs for the last two years, will be attempting to complete the hat-trick.
You may also want to watch:
Clevedon Promenade’s Margaret Dyer, winner of the mixed pairs last year, will be defending her title, but not with Nick Grenfell (Box), her co-champion. This time her partner is clubmate Eddie Nash-Clarke, a Weston resident.
The tournament starts on Sunday with the all-day mixed triples and concludes on Saturday, which is finals day. It is sponsored by local opticians Optika.
- 1 Civic society 'appalled' by new health centre proposed site
- 2 Mike begins monumental challenge for Weston-super-Mare causes
- 3 Housing development for greenfield site in Nailsea approved
- 4 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 5 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 6 Mother launches fundraising challenge as she battles cancer
- 7 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
- 8 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
- 9 North Somerset Council launches local test and trace service
- 10 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston