Struggling Saints

Weston St Johns’ poor first half was to blame for this defeat against Cutters Friday.

Weston St Johns 1

Cutters Friday 2

SAINTS’ poor first half was to blame for this defeat against high-riding Cutters Friday.

Although Cutters enjoyed the lion’s share of possession, they found Ian Allchorne in fine form in keeping them out until the 20th minute. Ten minutes later Cutters doubled their lead when a striker was left with to much room in the area to pick his spot.

You may also want to watch:

Saints came out a different team in the second half and started controlling the game from midfield. They pulled a goal back when Andy Lockyer made it five goals in five games when tapping home from close range.

Justin Flavell was introduced for his first run out of the season and made an instant impact causing all kinds of trouble to the visitor’s defence, but in the end Saints ran out of time to find the equaliser.

Most Read

Alliance Homes man of the match was Andy Lockyer.

Weston St Johns August players of the month were Dean Pierson (1st team) and Jason Mitchell (reserves). Each player received a cash prize and a bottle of champagne, which was kindly sponsored by Nick at Personalize Engraving.

Ilminster Town 2

Langford Rovers 2

ROVERS gave away what could be two vital points after twice conceding the lead away to Ilminster.

The home side started the better without creating serious efforts on goal, but Rovers gradually began to find Levi Marlow and Ryan Havard up front, which in turn created chances.

Havard shot wide before linking well with brother Kyle to cross for Marlow to tap home the opener. Rovers pressed well again with Leigh White becoming more and more menacing for Rovers.

He created chances for Joe Ellis and Havard before a mistake at the other end nearly saw the equaliser only for the home striker to shoot wide. Seemingly cruising to half-time, Langford got caught on the break, leading to an equaliser.

Manager Jamie Crandon got tough at the break and Rovers dominated the second period. White went close as did Havard from a free kick. Rovers were then denied what looked like a penalty when Adi Marshman was felled in the box.

Rovers pressed again and the impressive White nicked a second from a goalmouth scramble. Havard and Marlow missed golden opportunities to seal the game before Hill maintained the lead with a fine save at the other end.

An uncharacteristic mistake from James Marshall gave the visitors the share of the points late on, with Havard clipping the post at the end which could have given Rovers victory.

Delta Engineering man of the match went to Leigh White.

Rovers entertain title holders Nailsea United on Saturday.

Banwell 2

Stockwood Green 1

BANWELL produced their best performance of the season against Premier Division side Stockwood Green in the cup.

Banwell had all the early play and the Stockwood defenders were under constant pressure from Matt Bebber, Dean Grubb and Liam Underhill creating several chances.

Underhill broke the deadlock when he rounded the visiting keeper to tap home, making the score 1-0 at the interval.

Bebber made the most of a keeper error when a corner kick was fumbled by the keeper to score from close range.

A rare lapse in concentration allowed the visitors to score a consolation goal, but the home side stood firm for a place in the next round of the draw.

Waymouth Signs man of the match was Paul White.

Banwell pictured receiving their new kit from sponsors Garry Waymouth from Waymouth Signs, Hatfield Garage, Whites Transport Services.

Winscombe 3

Wells City Res 1

WINSCOMBE defeated Wells City Reserves 3-1 to gain another three points.

Winscombe took the lead after 12 minutes when a corner by Sleeman found the head of Rogers, who powered it home. Wells thought they had equalised, but it was ruled out for offside.

Winscombe went two up when Sleeman rounded the keeper after good work from Flint and Willis. Wells made it 2-1 in first-half injury time when Kieran White scored from the spot after Bray was adjudged to have brought him down.

Wells came out quick in the second half, but the back four of Bray, Cureton, Massey, and Horwood held firm. The introduction of Coates and Hill, for the Mason twins changed the tempo back Winscombe’s way and Coates scored with a well-drilled shot.

Flint hit the post and Hill put a couple of shots wide and the keeper was kept busy. The game was well controlled by referee Chris Ham.

Wrington-Redhill 2

Cleeve West Town 1

WRINGTON-Redhill beat Cleeve West Town 2-1 in an exhilarating match that had it all.

An outstanding cross from Cleeve’s Craig Rimmerz fell to the feet of Greg Barves, giving him the chance to curl the ball round the keeper Fadi Saade to put Cleeve in the lead. Just before the break, Cleeve’s Jatre Bryaut made Fadi produce a class save. After the break, Cleeve went close when a corner seemingly crossed the line, but the referee gave nothing. The game was heading for a Cleeve win until a penalty was given after 85 minutes, coolly slotted away by Graham Cheeseman.

With practically no time to go, the Cleeve’s defence messed up, giving Cheeseman the chance to slot the ball through the keeper’s legs for captain Mark Andow to hammer home the winner.

Congresbury 4

Weston St Johns Res 0

CONGRESBURY produced a good performance to record a well-deserved victory over St Johns.

Congresbury dominated from the start and the first chance fell to Tony Tuckfield, but the keeper pulled off a good save. On the rare occasions St Johns were able to attack, defenders Alex Read, Ollie Clements, Dan Pepworth, Danny Sprague and Harry Matthews were able to deal with them comfortably.

Further chances were created by Ben Marsh, Moe Lister, Seb Williams and Rob Harraway before a long kick from Danny Bullock saw Tuckfield beat the keeper for a 1-0 lead at the break.

The start of the second half saw Congresbury dominant as they scored three goals in the first 10 minutes. They made the score 2-0 when good work by Lister and Tuckfield, set up Read to score with a volley.

Minutes later Stockhall scored from close range and he scored his second when he lifted the ball over the keeper for the fourth goal.

Further chances fell to Lister and Miltimdis Moumoris but Congresbury held out for a comfortable victory.

Player of the match was Moe Lister.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus