Successful junior tournament
Cheddar Tennis Club held a successful four-day LTA junior grade 4 tournament.
CHEDDAR Tennis Club held a successful four-day LTA junior grade 4 tournament for players aged 10 to 16, with over 50 entries from all over the West Country.
Many of the players were returning for the fourth year, indicating the popularity of Cheddar’s open events.
There was a good girls’ entry at 10U level (mini green) but, disappointingly, few girls entered the other age groups, which were dominated by boys.
The standard of play overall was excellent with Somerset and Avon players performing particularly well. Winners and runners-up were presented with Olympic style gold and silver medals
You may also want to watch:
The club has also been running a series of grade 6 one-day matchplay events through the summer, specifically for local players wanting to improve their LTA ratings, and these have proved increasingly popular.
Following on from Andy Murray’s triumph in the Olympics, the club is hoping more players, young and old, will take up the sport. Weekly group coaching sessions restart for children and adults in the first week of September and run throughout the year, all ages and abilities are welcome.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 3 Pupil awarded new bike for attending every lesson
- 4 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 5 Weston mum thanks community after Afghan refugee donation
- 6 Pet store to relocate to new unit
- 7 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 8 Plan to build £30million second school site approved
- 9 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 10 Weston schools to reintroduce extra-curricular clubs
Adults looking for good social tennis or competitive league matches are also encouraged to join the club, with membership fees reduced from September.
For more information, contact Peter Colton on 01934 742703.
Tournament results - 10U girls: winner Charlotte Russell (Gloucester), runner-up Olivia Wellings (Avon); 10U boys: Ethan Reed (Avon), Freddie Coulson (Avon); 12U boys: Blu Baker (Hampshire), Joshua Cheraghvand (Somerset); 14U boys grade 4: Rhodri Hande (Gloucester), Henry Dennler (Dorset); 14U boys grade 5: Pavith Samarakoon (Somerset), Ben Stephenson (Avon); 16U boys grade 4: Rohan Gardner (Somerset), Noah Pring (Avon); 16U boys grade 5: Josh Lutner (Somerset), James Neslen (Somerset).