Successful mini red tournament held at Cheddar
- Credit: Archant
More than 50 young players took part in a successful mini red tournament held at Cheddar Tennis Club.
CHEDDAR Tennis Club held a successful LTA mini red schools tournament for years three and four pupils, with more than 50 players representing five local schools participating.
The event was organised by the club’s head coach Stephen Pearce who ran tennis sessions in all the schools prior to the tournament to help them choose their teams.
Students from years seven and eight at Fairlands Middle School acted as match supervisors and scorers on court.
A total of 14 teams from Cheddar, Axbridge, Shipham and Weare first schools plus Sidcot took part, each team consisting of two girls and two boys.
You may also want to watch:
The first stage comprised 10-minute timed singles matches in four round robin groups, with the winner of each group going through to the knockout stage.
The final brought Axbridge A up against Cheddar A with Cheddar winning the trophy which had been held for the three previous years by Axbridge.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 3 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 4 Ed Sheeran announces huge UK tour
- 5 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 6 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 7 Fine food and drink on offer at biggest ever eat:Weston festival
- 8 Number of homes in major development could be reduced as amended plans submitted
- 9 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 10 Plan to build £30million second school site approved
There were medals for the winners and runners-up and certificates for everyone. Cheddar will now represent the district at the county event in Taunton.
Club chair Jennie Colton thanked Stephen for running the tournament and complimented all the players on their enthusiasm, skill and good behaviour.
The club followed the competition a week later with an open day as part of the LTA’s Great British Tennis Weekend. This was well attended by children and adults of all ages with the coaching team demonstrating skills and running games on court and club members chatting to visitors.
For more information on coaching, social and competitive tennis, contact the coach on 07904 061301 or email@example.com, or Jennie Colton 01934 742703 or www.cheddartennisclub.co.uk