Team Savage dominate SW tournament
- Credit: Archant
Team Savage fighters capture titles at the South West Submission Grappling tournament.
THE South West Submission Grappling tournament returned to Weston for the first time in two years.
Held at the Team Savage Academy, local practitioners of judo, wrestling, jiujitsu and mixed martial arts were invited to compete in their respective weight categories for a chance to win the title of champion in their weight class and prizes from sponsors BSX-Nutrition.
A match is won by submitting your opponent through a joint lock or choke within the four minute time. The tournament, run by ex-Cage Rage champion Alex Owen, is one of the country’s only events that requires a submission for a win.
Numerous local gyms were in attendance - students from Ian Rossiter’s gym (who train out of Sweat FA) and Steve Keen’s MMA Academy, all put in good showings.
You may also want to watch:
Team Savage’s Marc Aplin was able to submit five out of six of his opponents and draw with the remaining one, earning the title in the 70-75kg division.
Scott Vowles used a good combination of speed and strength to win the tough 60-65kg division and Shawn Luther, after narrowly missing out in the 75-80kg category, won the open weight tournament.
- 1 Council tax set to rise in North Somerset
- 2 Cosmetics company creates candle to raise cash for Weston Hospicecare
- 3 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
- 4 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 5 Contemporary living in a pretty North Somerset village
- 6 New scheme to monitor high-risk Covid patients at home will 'save lives'
- 7 Alliance Homes to deliver 40 affordable properties on Somerset housing development
- 8 Family fundraising to create care packages for NHS nursing staff looking after their daughter
- 9 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 10 New hope in third lockdown due to vaccine
One of Team Savage’s coaches said: “A number of our fighters are competing in professional mixed martial arts bouts over the coming months, gaining good experience.”