Thompson and Turner named on Bristol Bears bench for win with Newcastle Falcons
- Credit: JMPUK
Former Weston loose-head prop Andrew Turner and Hornets’ Aaron Thompson were both named in the Bristol Bears squad for their game with Newcastle Falcons at Ashton Gate on New Year's Day.
Turner, who played for Weston Colts and is a product of Filton SGS Academy, was selected in the England under-18 squad last season, and continued his development by turning professional in July 2020.
Thompson signed for Hornets back in September as part of the Bristol Bears Scholarship Group.
Despite the duo remaining on the bench for the Bears 29-17 victory, both received plaudits for being called up to the first team for the first time.
“For an 18-year-old prop to be included in a Premiership first XV squad is a phenomenal achievement,” said Weston’s Director of Rugby Sam Waterman about Turner.
You may also want to watch:
“I know, along with anyone who has been involved with his progress, he will do himself proud when he gets on the pitch.
“Off the pitch, Andy is an extremely polite, diligent and humble young man.
- 1 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
- 2 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 3 Weston accountant sees business thrive during lockdowns
- 4 Civic society 'appalled' by new health centre proposed site
- 5 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 6 Secondary school to expand to second site expected to cost £30million
- 7 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
- 8 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 9 Housing development for greenfield site in Nailsea approved
- 10 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
“He has all the attributes required to achieve great things, not just in rugby but in life.”
Hornets head coach Jon Richardson said on Twitter: “How fantastic to see two young local lads getting their chance on the bench for Bristol Bears v Newcastle this afternoon.
"Andrew Turner of @wsmrfc and Aaron Thompson who recently signed for @Upthenestrfc but is a junior product of @WinscombeRugby. Good luck to both of them.”