Three boxers end on a high note
Three Weston men ended an amazing personal journey in the boxing ring at Clevedon’s Hand Stadium.
THREE Weston-based men stepped into the boxing ring at Clevedon’s Hand Stadium, for the conclusion of an amazing personal journey.
Vangelis Antonio, John Wellsted and Mark Caperton competed in their first boxing match following 10 gruelling weeks of training on the North Somerset Zero to Hero boxing training programme.
Zero To Hero is a unique 10-week fitness experience programme created by Andy Cleeves, Jake O’Hagan and Carl Busby. The programme is designed to provide contenders with no previous boxing experience with the chance to become a hero in the boxing ring for one night.
During the first six weeks, all contenders trained together, completing two two-hour sessions per week as they worked on fitness, conditioning, the psychology of combat and the basics of boxing and sparring.
You may also want to watch:
In week seven, they were split into a red or blue camp to train, focussing on more advanced sparring, drills and conditioning. All three were placed into the red camp and were coached by Jon Edge and Justin Morgan.
Bristol’s strongest man champion Vangelis was the first of the three men to take to the ring in front of a huge crowd. His opponent was Tim Jones from Clevedon, who was a tough contender and the pair gave the crowd a spectacular three rounds of boxing, with Vangelis winning the fight on a unanimous points decision.
- 1 Businesses refused to reopen after lockdown due to staff safety fears in Weston town centre
- 2 Weston family who had home transformed featured on DIY SOS
- 3 Asymptomatic coronavirus testing pilot starts with college students from next week
- 4 Winter Gardens set to open newly refurbished eatery
- 5 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 6 Yatton artist releases charity single with Hamilton star
- 7 Girl, 11, suffers serious injuries after collision with car
- 8 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 9 Doctor resigns from Weston General Hospital's A&E department
- 10 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
John Wellsted and Mark Caperton also gave two great performances, both winning their bouts for the red team.
Anyone considering signing up for the next season of Zero to Hero can do so by visiting www.zerotoheroboxing.com