Three on the trot for Axbridge
MORE than 30 children from three Cheddar Valley first schools took part in a mini tennis red tournament held at Cheddar Tennis Club.
The tournament for years three and four was sponsored by the LTA as part of their initiative to introduce children to tennis.
Cheddar club coach Stephen Pearce, who organised the event, has been running taster tennis sessions at first schools throughout the area and Axbridge, Shipham and Draycott and Rodney Stoke schools sent teams to take part.
All the children played three singles and three doubles matches, with the teams from Axbridge first school coming out on top in both the year three and year four competition.
That makes three years running that Axbridge have won the district tournament and they will now go forward to play in the county finals at Millfield in July, an event they also won last year.
You may also want to watch:
Cheddar Tennis Club has a strong junior section and runs coaching sessions throughout the year for children of all ages from four to 18. The club’s next events will be a mini tennis red, orange and green tournament open to players from all local clubs on June 3, a racquet and stringing demonstration on June 9 and an open day for anyone, including adults, to come and have a go on July 14.
For more information, contact Peter Colton on 01934 742703.
- 1 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
- 2 Dog falls off side of Brean Down
- 3 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
- 4 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 5 Teenager charged with dangerous driving following collision which injured three people
- 6 Council tax set to rise in North Somerset
- 7 Council reveals cost for new primary school
- 8 Chef with Michelin star experience shares 'ultimate winters seafood' recipe
- 9 Secondary school to expand to allow 900 more pupils
- 10 School producing science champions