Three wins in a week for Uphill Castle

Uphill Castle v Cheddar.

Uphill Castle v Cheddar. - Credit: Archant

Uphill Castle registered three wins in a week to move up to fourth position in the league.

Uphill Castle 3

Cheddar Res 1

UPHILL Castle came into this game following two midweek victories against Churchill and Kewstoke.

They beat Churchill 6-0 with goals coming from Paul Wray (4), Matt Bebber and Ben Harris and Kewstoke 2-0 (Wray and Harris).

You may also want to watch:

Cheddar took the lead when they failed to clear the ball and it fell to a Cheddar player, who gave keeper Mark Rawlins no chance. Uphill soon equalised when a superb through ball from Ben Harris sent Wray clear to make the half-time score 1-1.

The second half began with Uphill controlling the game with Sam Beresford, Mike Deane, Jack Askins and Harris winning the midfield battle.

Most Read

Uphill took the lead when Bebber netted and minutes later a Bebber corner was superbly headed home by Harris to make the score 3-1 and take them up to fourth in the table.

The Old Thatched Cottage player of the match was Sam Beresford.

Winscombe 1

Worle 0

WINSCOMBE defeated a resolute Worle side 1-0 to avenge an earlier defeat.

Winscombe went ahead after 15 minutes when Rob Winters scored from a mishit shot from Dave Hughes. The only time Worle had a chance was when a shot was deflected and Paige pushed the ball onto the bar.

The second half started with Winscombe having to re-shuffle as Hughes had to come off, with Hooper going centre-half and Heal moving into midfield. Hooper marshalled young backs Collier, Hosey and Chambers.

With Stoves and Willis in command in midfield, Worle never really tested the home keeper.

Winscombe Fish Bar man of the match was Mike Flint.

Wrington Redhill 5

St George (E-i-G) 2

WRINGTON defeated St George in this Division 1 fixture.

Referee Stephen Taylor began the game with a minutes silence to commemorate the Hillsborough tragedy.

The visitors took the lead against the run of play through a 20 yard shot from Jake King. Wrington equalised after good work by Sam Johnson and Chris Gale, whose cross found Neal Andow to convert.

Wrington took the lead when Craig Burchill put away a penalty to lead 2-1 at the break.

After the break, St George equalised again, but a minute later, Wrington’s lead was restored Simon Riggs scored. The result was sealed with two late goals by Gale and Andow.

Wrington Redhill 4

Congresbury 2

IN a fiercely-contested first-half, Congresbury came out of the blocks determined to unsettle the home side in this derby.

The visitors were rewarded with an early goal when Craig Beynon netted. Wrington fought back and were awarded a penalty when Graham Cheeseman was barged in the back and Jake Murray equalised.

Congresbury regained the lead when Ross Stockhall set up strike partner Jack Clark to score. Seven minutes later, Cheeseman was again manhandled in the area and again Murray equalised from the spot.

The second half was dominated by Wrington, who took the lead through Joe Berry, set up by Cheeseman. Wrington extended their lead when Craig Burchill forced an own goal.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus