Thrilling finish for seconds
Weston 2nd XI returned to winning ways with a thrilling finish against Old Bristolians Westbury.
WESTON seconds got back to winning ways with a thrilling finish against Old Bristolians Westbury.
Having won the toss and elected to bat, Weston got off to a steady start with openers Dan Press and Simon Turner putting on 52 for the first wicket.
Tom Ford (53) came in at three to build good partnerships of 37 with Turner (33) and 39 with Matt Kearsey (14), but it was the seventh wicket partnership of 45 between Sam Curley (23 not out) and Tom Dancey (12 not out) which made the difference in the end, taking Weston to 190-6 off their 45 overs.
Weston got off to a superb start in the field, with Tom Chambers (9-1-36-3) removing both openers cheaply. Kearsey could do no wrong, taking three key wickets, a run out and three catches to see OBs reduced to 93-7. Chris Julian led an inspired fightback with a superb 104 - his second fifty coming off just 32 balls.
You may also want to watch:
However, when he was removed by Chambers in the 43rd over, the finishing line was in sight for Weston and Dancey claimed the last wicket with the final ball of the penultimate over to claim victory for Weston by eight runs.
Forte Financial man of the match was Matt Kearsey.
- 1 Fears for Weston General Hospital A&E's future after top doctor resigns
- 2 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 5 Call for action to reduce rising infection rates in secondary schools
- 6 Christmas lights display for Weston Hospicecare
- 7 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 8 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 9 Cash and necklaces stolen in Weston-super-Mare burglary
- 10 North Somerset could join WECA - but faces a four-year wait