Thriving junior badminton club
- Credit: Archant
Uphill Badminton Club is expanding all the time and is now in its 29th year.
Uphill Junior Badminton Club is now in its 29th year, having started in 1988 on just two courts at Weston Cricket Club for an hour with a handful of children.
It now runs four courts for three hours every week for more than 75 children aged from four to 18 years.
The junior club was run for 26 years by Caroline and John Poole before handing over to Mark and Paul Edwards in 2014.
As well as the thriving Saturday coaching sessions, Uphill juniors have teams entered in the Avon Under-12, 14, 16 and 18 leagues. The Under-12 and 16 categories of which Uphill won last season.
You may also want to watch:
The juniors also play several friendly matches each season and enter players in all local junior tournaments, as well as having players involved in the Avon junior county set up.
As well as playing, there is a clear link to the Uphill senior club. Many current and past senior members are as a result of coming up through the junior set up. The biggest link being a dedicated senior league team in the North Somerset Badminton League Division 5, which is made up purely of junior players
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 3 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 4 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 5 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 6 New leadership team for charity
- 7 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 8 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
New members are always welcome to the Saturday coaching sessions, particularly ages 10-14. For more information please visit the website www.uphillbadminton.co.uk or Facebook page Uphill Junior Badminton.