Tough games for Weston youngsters

JUNIORRUGBY - WESTON Under-10s played two quite physical games at the Rec against a touring side from Launceston.

JUNIORRUGBY - WESTON Under-10s played two quite physical games at the Rec against a touring side from Launceston.

In the first, the home team won by 30-5,with tries from Jack Howard,Tom Chambers, Sam Kerrigan and a hat-trick from George Bamsey, with

Weston winning 90 per cent of the scrums and superb support play from Dan Press, Jessie Dadds and Finley Hardy.

Adam Rogerson and Eddie Davis had a couple of good runs and with Jimmy Bamsey being in the thick of it for most of the game, Weston came out on top.

You may also want to watch:

Two new players did well, Herbie Corderoy and Josh Gardner with Josh having a couple of good runs.

In the second game Weston won by 20-10 with two tries each for Adam

Most Read

Rogerson and Dan Press and as in the first game the support play by the whole team was superb.

The Under-8s were at home against Old Bristolians.Great match, great weather with both games ending in a draw. First game the score was 8-8.Good play by Weston with great tries from Keelan and Lewis in his first game.Great tagging by Emily in the first game with Joe and both Jacks, having couple of good runs. All in all great team play.

Second game score was 5-5. Again great play by Weston with good runs from Emily. Jack P had an excellent game, grabbing many tags as did Keelan and Taylor. Great run by Oliver in the second half.

Weston Under-9s played their first game of contact rugby against visitors Old Bristolians.

Despite contact being new to both teams, spectators watched a hard fought and exciting game of rugby.

Bristol took the lead, but tries from Joe and Cai put Weston ahead. Weston led 3-2 at half time thanks to strong defending from the team, Tyler, who made his debut for Weston, made five tackles. Both teams scored one try in the second half which made Weston winners by 4-3.

HORNETS Under-15s met a strong Winscombe side who kicked off, but c

aptain Louis Symiakos opened Hornets account early on.

Later, the ball was moved out to the backs where Lewis Clarke ran through the opposition defence to claim the second try of the first half. Hornets forwards continued to dominate but it was not long before the well drilled Winscombe backs move up field to score their first of four tries, two of which they converted.

In the second half, Hornets continued their dominance in the forwards setting up good ball and driving mauls, controlled by Brandon-Leigh Hewlett who displayed excellent communication, support and passing. Hornets were pinned back in their half for a while but defended well to turn the ball over, it was passed wide where Kyle Evans found himself on the wing to run almost the length of the pitch to score his first try ever for Hornets.

Winscombe came back strongly and brought the game to a tie but undeterred Simon Owen returned a kick when Winscombe tried to clear from their 22 and ran back cutting his way through the defence to score.

With a win in sight Hornets moved the ball wide again where they found Matt Armstrong who finished off the move to crash over in the corner. Simon Owen also converted two of four conversions to win the game.

To name a man of the match this week would be unfair as many players were outstanding, however the other than the players already mentioned Antony Graves, Connor Morss and Tom Cates deserve praise for excellence on the pitch. Tom Cates unfortunately fractured his wrist, best wishes and a speedy recovery to him.

The Under-14s fielded a weaken 14-man side against Walcot and opened the scoring when from a ruck, the ball was passed along the line for Joe Howe to score in the corner and converted by Conner Littlewood.

Walcott quickly hit back with three tries and one conversion making the extra man tell for a half time score of Walcott 17, Hornets 7.

Walcot started the second half with a converted try and with a injury to Joe Howe who came off, Hornets played on with 13 men and some hard driving by the forwards Ryan Massey scored a push-over try converted by Conner Littlewood. Walcott hit back with another converted try making the final score Walcott 31, Hornets 14. Man of the match for Hornets was George Greatbanks.

The Under-10s played host to Cornish champions Launceston in a pre-season friendly game. Although a warm up, the game was strongly contested by both sides with some fine tackling by all players, particularly from forwards Andrew Meaghan, Thomas Budd and Nick Lukins.

Hornets conceded three tries but responded with some excellent breaks by Dave Cocking and Charlie Owens, leading to tries for both players and a further score for Nick Lukins.

Launceston brought on some fresh players for the second half, but Hornets never gave up with some great support play from Owen Kent and Harrison Wallace, together with strong tackling by Jack Higgins and Tommy Beaton. Jake Sjogren played well on his debut with Callum Tanner and Liam Fitzpatrick showing their skills and experience.

Launceston pressed hard for three further scores, but a tiring Hornets team put in some great effort to send in Dave Cocking for two more scores. In the dying seconds, some fine passing gave Jacob Manning a well-taken try in the corner to end the game as a draw at six tries apiece. Thanks to Callum, Dave and Liam from the Under-11s for helping out.

The Under-13s entertained Thornbury for the first home match of the season and put on an entertaining performance. Hornets were on the attack from the start and were three tries up in the first 10 minutes, all scored by Thomas Davison.

Even though Hornets were dominant, the Thornbury team made a spirited attempt at a com- back but good defensive work by Hornets forwards and backs made sure that their line was never in danger of being crossed.

Michael Long made a good break, but was unlucky not to score after putting his foot over the dead ball line. Try number four for Hornets came after the ball was passed along the threes to Byron Marriot who raced over to score. None of the tries in the first half were converted.

The beginning of the second half saw a number of changes to Hornets team but even so they were always comfortable and never lost control and the forwards with Josh Caufield, Jordan Lees and Michael Doe always in the thick of things ensuring that the threes were never starved of the ball.

Thornbury were the first to score in the second half. This stung Hornets into action and Josh made a powerful 25-meter run to score try number five, which he also converted.

Hornets final try came after Gareth Brock received the ball in his own half then weaved his way though the Thornbury defence to touch down. The try was also converted by Josh.. Final score Hornets 34, Thornbury 5. At the team debrief after the match The Hornets coaches praised the newer members of the squad for the way they had married into the team and that they were beginning make their presence felt.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus