Tough week for Uphill league teams
- Credit: Archant
Uphill Badminton Club suffered three defeats out of four league game played last week.
UPHILL Badminton Club had four teams in league action resulting in one win and three defeats.
The B team were away to a strong Clevedon Feathers A side. This was always going to be a tough task, and was made even harder with three players missing from the selected team.
Emily Page Symonds was the pick of the team, taking her mixed to three rubbers with Anjam Ajif and also going to three with sister Becky Falwasser. Despite 100 per cent effort in all the games Uphill went down to a 9-0 defeat.
Prospects for survival now rest on three big games in the new year against Frys, Wyvern and Clevedon Feathers B.
You may also want to watch:
The C team had a local derby against Wyvern B and in a close match lost out 5-4. The evening got off to a good start for Uphill with Fiona Singleton and Carl Harrsion along with Maureen Matthews and Glyn Davis both winning their mixed rubbers to put Uphill into a 2-1 lead.
Uphill then continued strongly with Fiona winning both of her ladies’ rubbers, firstly with captain Julie O’Sullivan and then with Maureen. Wyvern hit back and led by number one man James Watson, took the first two men’s rubbers.
- 1 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 2 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 3 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 4 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 5 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 6 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 7 North Somerset online choir to bring Christmas cheer
- 8 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 9 Football stadium set for coronavirus vaccination hub
- 10 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
The match hinged on the last men’s rubber and after a close battle, Uphill were edged out in the third game. The only Uphill player to win all their rubbers was Fiona.
The men’s A team took on league leaders Mendipway away in Wells. With three team members unavailable, Uphill were able to give a debut to new recruit Will Hollis. Along with B team player Anjam Ajif, it meant a strong first pairing for Uphill. Uphill got off to a strong start winning two of the first three rubbers, Anjam and Will playing some scintillating badminton in winning the one and two rubbers.
Mendipway drew level before Uphill ended strongly with Anjam and Ted Woods winning in three games, followed up with Will and captain Brian Hadley completing the 4-2 win by taking their rubber.
The men’s B team, missing captain Bill Ponting were away to Mark and lost 5-1. The team of James Clapham, Scott Booth, Tony Wilsher Day and Keith Higgins all played well, but were outplayed on the night.
Uphill’s only success came when Tony and Keith beat Mark Le Poidsen and Malcolm Hatton. This leaves Uphill in third place going into the Christmas break.