Touring side defeat eight-strong Avenue team
- Credit: Archant
Eight players from the Avenue Tennis Club hosted a touring team from Royal Wootton Bassett.
A team of eight players from the Avenue Tennis Club hosted a touring team from Royal Wootton Bassett.
The Avenue team of Richard Belfield, Colin Stead, Brian Phillips, Richard Mear, Kevin Burrow, Harry Burrow, Ian Phillips and Richard Jenkins paired off to play four sets against each of the RWB pairs.
With probably the best day of the year so far with regards to weather and using the Avenue’s recently upgraded Astra courts, the visiting players proved too strong, winning the friendly event 13-3.
Thanks from the players was extended to Lynn O’Dell and Pooh Jenkins for preparing a fantastic buffet for the players, while watching the rugby in the clubhouse.
You may also want to watch:
The club has four Astra (upgraded this year), four hard courts, a fantastic clubhouse with a licensed bar, and excellent facilities which can be hired out for parties and special occasions throughout the year.
The club’s committee organise a variety of social play and themed evening events throughout the year.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 3 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 4 Ed Sheeran announces huge UK tour
- 5 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 6 Number of homes in major development could be reduced as amended plans submitted
- 7 Plan to build £30million second school site approved
- 8 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 9 Fine food and drink on offer at biggest ever eat:Weston festival
- 10 North Somerset's garden waste service to resume with collections every four weeks
With an extensive coaching programme, lots of organised social play, ladies’ and men’s teams competing in local leagues and plenty of court time available for individual play, there is something for all standards of players. See website for more detail www.avenuetennis.com.
Head coach, Julie Williams, a LTA qualified senior performance coach will be running an Easter holiday tennis camp during the school holidays from March 29 to April 1 and April 4-8, with flexible drop-off from 8.30am to pick ups at 4.30pm. Booking forms and price details are available from the club’s website www.avenuetennis.com