Tournament finals held at Weston
- Credit: Archant
Weston Tennis Club held its tournament finals, with a series of exciting matches being played.
WESTON Tennis Club staged its tournament finals with spectators watching a series of exciting matches.
Perfect weather and a series of closely-fought matches played in excellent spirit provided for an entertaining climax to the competition season.
The ladies’ final between Sabine Germane and Helen Morton got the day underway with some competitive rallies. However, Sabine showed the greater resilience and attacking instincts to pull away in a two set victory 6-2, 6-3.
The men’s final proved to be a fascinating match between two local performance coaches, Mike Greedy and Weston Tennis Club’s resident coach Jamie Allen.
You may also want to watch:
Mike, fresh from his success in his debut on the British tour, was the in-form player and his athletic all-court game proved too much for Jamie and he took the first set 6-1.
Jamie’s guile and superb touch made for a highly competitive second set, but Mike’s pulverising forehands and powerful serve dominated some scintillating rallies. Greedy went on to win the second set 6-4 to clinch a match of high quality tennis.
- 1 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 2 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 3 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 4 Day of Ibiza club classics to be performed in Weston this weekend
- 5 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 6 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 7 Bake Off stars to host afternoon tea in North Somerset this weekend
- 8 Blue plaque installed for famous actress
- 9 Customers urged to support local pubs, restaurants and cafes to boost hospitality sector
- 10 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
Nick Evans and Christine Sully won an entertaining match in the mixed doubles event against mother and son combination Suzanne and Lewis Taylor.
The Taylors combined well to take the first set, but resilient defensive play from Christine in tandem with some deft net play from Nick Evans meant the 2014 winners were able to repeat their success and went on to win two sets to one.
A day of high quality tennis concluded with a men’s doubles match between Nick Evans and Russell Deuvall, against international pairing Lluis Rubio from Spain and his Finnish partner Riku Raisanen.
Nick, who also managed to clinch the mixed and men’s doubles at Woodland Tennis Club, combined well at the net with Russell who also proved a consistent force from the baseline. The pair went on to clinch a sporting match with some great rallies, 6-3, 6-2.
Weston Tennis Club, based in Neva Road, provides opportunities for competitive and social play throughout the year and under floodlights during the winter on its five courts.
Beginners, intermediates and advanced players are all welcome to come and play. Club coach Jamie Allen provides group and individual coaching for both adults and juniors throughout the week.
For more information on this friendly club and the opportunities to participate and join, please call Jamie Allen on 07790 937448.