Tournament victory for Team Mendip girls
- Credit: Archant
Team Mendip Under-16 girls won the Bishops Lydeard tournament in a close final.
TEAM Mendip Under-16s, made up of girls from Weston, Clevedon and Burnham, won the annual Bishops Lydeard tournament.
They started off slowly, losing to Bishops Lydeard, but soon found therir feet with victories against Queen Bee’s and Wembdon Youth and drawing against Yeovil. This made them runners up in group A.
In the semi-final, they played Moors Youth, winners of group B. A hard-fought game saw them win 2-1.
The final beckoned against AEK Boco and after a shaky start, a great through ball to Charlotte Cooper, saw her spin round and slot it in the bottom corner. Boco battled hard, but could not penetrate Mendip’s defence.
You may also want to watch:
Goals in the tournament came from Charlotte Cooper, Emma Jarrett, Melissa Sturman and Amy Clarke
Parents’ player went to Amy Clark for her sterling defending.
- 1 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 2 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 3 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 4 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 5 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 6 FA Cup: Weston AFC cruise past Taunton Town to reach third qualifying round
- 7 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 8 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 9 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 10 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards