Tournament victory for Team Mendip girls
- Credit: Archant
Team Mendip Under-16 girls won the Bishops Lydeard tournament in a close final.
TEAM Mendip Under-16s, made up of girls from Weston, Clevedon and Burnham, won the annual Bishops Lydeard tournament.
They started off slowly, losing to Bishops Lydeard, but soon found therir feet with victories against Queen Bee’s and Wembdon Youth and drawing against Yeovil. This made them runners up in group A.
In the semi-final, they played Moors Youth, winners of group B. A hard-fought game saw them win 2-1.
The final beckoned against AEK Boco and after a shaky start, a great through ball to Charlotte Cooper, saw her spin round and slot it in the bottom corner. Boco battled hard, but could not penetrate Mendip’s defence.
You may also want to watch:
Goals in the tournament came from Charlotte Cooper, Emma Jarrett, Melissa Sturman and Amy Clarke
Parents’ player went to Amy Clark for her sterling defending.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 4 Cancer specialist offers tips on mental wellbeing during lockdown
- 5 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 6 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 7 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 8 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 9 175th anniversary of Weston Cricket Club book by Roger Webber to shortly be released
- 10 Weston Town Council pledges to be an anti-racist authority