Town crash away
Brackley Town 2 Clevedon Town 1 - CLEVEDON travelled to Northamptonshire to play Brackley Town and lost 2-1 in a lacklustre display.
Brackley Town 2
Clevedon Town 1
CLEVEDON travelled to Northamptonshire to play Brackley Town and lost 2-1 in a lacklustre display, which leaves them in 19th place in the Zamaretto Premier Division table.
Ben Evans and Tom Billing returned to the starting 11 in place of Callum Fisher and Sam Small, as Clevedon started in a 4-5-1 formation.
You may also want to watch:
On a superb playing surface, the first half was a largely forgettable affair. The home team had the better of the play and wasted several half-chances. Tom Winters and Ben Mackey came closest to putting Brackley ahead, while all that Clevedon had to show for their efforts was a crisp shot just wide from Josh Brigham, and a couple of dangerous crosses from Pete Sheppard, as the game remained scoreless at half time.
Brackley made a couple of early substitutions in the second half, and finally went ahead on 63 minutes when a chipped ball over the Seasiders' defence was volleyed powerfully into the net by Elliot Sandy, with Clevedon players appealing in vain for an offside flag. Tom Winters blasted another shot just wide before Joey Evans hit the ball over the bar when well-placed for the visitors.
- 1 Doctor resigns from Weston General Hospital's A&E department
- 2 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 3 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 4 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 5 Christmas panto cancelled due to tier three restrictions
- 6 Hospital trust defends patient-to-nurses ratio increase
- 7 Airport to receive £8million grant to 'protect jobs'
- 8 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 9 North Somerset could join WECA - but faces a four-year wait
- 10 Weston shop offering personalised fudge gift boxes
On 71 minutes Brackley made it 2-0 when Mark Rawle received the ball on the edge of the box, turned smartly, and placed his shot high into the far corner of Danny Greaves's goal. This set-back seemed to galvanise Clevedon, who pushed forward to find a way back into the game, and on 83 minutes they got their reward when a poor corner was only half-cleared by the Brackley defence to Clevedon captain Lee Molyneaux who scored through a crowd of players. Substitute Aaron Blakemore then shot wide, and Dale Peckham was relieved to see an offside flag against him as he mis-hit a shot from six yards out when he should have scored. But the equaliser would not come and Brackley ran out the worthy winners.
Town's next game at the Hand Stadium will be the FA Cup second qualifying round tie on Saturday against Newport County, kick-off 3pm.