Town sink to another home defeat
CLEVEDON Town’s dismal Zamaretto League Division 1 home run continued as local rivals Mangotsfield United left with all three points from a 2-1 victory.
Kris Lee came into the starting XI in place of George Brimson, who was unwell, and fit-again keeper Jason Mellor was named among the substitutes. Mangotsfield started with six former Clevedon players in their line-up, and two more on the bench.
In a forgettable first half, the visitors created the better chances with Michael Meaker having his header cleared off the line, Andrew Hughes hitting a shot straight at Clevedon goalie Sam Burgess, and Geraint Bater skewing his shot wide of the target.
Danny Greaves was forced to make his first save on the half hour from a curling shot from Adam Mahdi. Minutes later though, Mahdi was sent off by referee Mr Roberts for use of the elbow, to make Clevedon’s task harder. Lewis Ellis drew another save from Greaves just before the break as a dire first half ended goal-less.
Burgess parried a fierce shot from Matt Groves as the second half got underway, but a subsequent fumble from the keeper gave away a corner from which Mangotsfield took the lead as Gary Colborne rose unchallenged to head home.
You may also want to watch:
Five minutes later, the Seasiders were level when Lewis Ellis and Matt Thorne combined to set up Chas Hemmings who fired home. Burgess was alert to block a Kyle Tooze shot at full stretch before Clevedon went close when a Callum Fisher cross was almost turned into his own net by Colborne.
On 80 minutes, a speculative long-range shot from Bater trickled agonisingly into the corner of the net, eluding Burgess’s despairing dive to put Mangotsfield back ahead. In the final minute, Town almost equalised again as Hemmings headed down a long Matt Townley throw to the feet of Ellis, but his powerful drive was blocked by a defender, and the game ended with another home defeat.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 3 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 4 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 5 Plan to build £30million second school site approved
- 6 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 7 Ed Sheeran announces huge UK tour
- 8 North Somerset's garden waste service to resume with collections every four weeks
- 9 Pet store to relocate to new unit
- 10 Fine food and drink on offer at biggest ever eat:Weston festival