Trio sign contract extensions at Weston-super-Mare Football Club signalling a ‘new future’ for the Seagulls
- Credit: Archant
The Mercury can exclusively reveal tonight (Thursday) that three players have extended their contracts at Weston Football Club.
Goalkeeper Luke Purnell and midfielder Jacob Cane have signed two-year contracts, which will keep them at The Woodspring Stadium until the end of the 2018/2019 season.
On-loan centre back Jon Moran has also extended his stay at the club, from National League side Forest Green Rovers, until January with a view to extend it beyond the end of the current season.
Assistant head coach Chris Barker said this is the ‘beginning of a new future’ for the club at tonight’s training session.
Barker, alongside head coach Scott Bartlett, has come in to try and steady the ship at Weston but the side have lost 12 of their past 13 league games.
You may also want to watch:
There have been a number of changes on and off the pitch but Bartlett told the Mercury he believes he has a side ‘which wants to play for the club’ something he says is ‘one of the most important things’.
Two players have also left the club tonight, with Weston confirming both Ben Withey and Kane Ingram have decided they no longer wish to play for the Seagulls.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 4 Appeal for Christmas gifts for elderly and isolated
- 5 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 6 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 7 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 8 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 9 Weston Town Council pledges to be an anti-racist authority
- 10 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
A statement from the club said: “We would like to wish both players good luck in the future.”
Weston take on Gosport Borough on Saturday at The Woodspring Stadium looking for their first league win under their new head coach.
Kick-off is at 3pm.