Try sailing on Cheddar Reservoir this summer
- Credit: Archant
Bristol Corinthian Yacht Club is offering group and individual lessons on Cheddar Reservoir.
Bristol Corinthian Yacht Club on Cheddar Reservoir often gets enquiries from potential members, existing members and new joiners for group or one-to-one training sessions.
This August, the club is running a series of midweek sessions, which cost £50 per day for members (£70 for non-members). The courses will be taught by the club’s team of qualified instructors, in the club’s boats. The fee includes the use of club boats, buoyancy aid and wetsuits if required.
Two hour taster sessions have also proved popular, and these will continue over the autumn months.
The first August taster day saw two families enjoying a sunny and windy day out on the water. Starting with a joy ride to get used to the concept of sailing in a dinghy, by the end of the day the intrepid sailors had learned how to helm, tack and gybe, and sail round a triangular course.
You may also want to watch:
Two of the youngsters proved to be well on their way to completing their RYA Level 3 course, as they learnt how to pick up a man overboard, come alongside and start racing.
Meanwhile the mothers, Angela and Jane, both of whom had not sailed for more than 20 years, found their confidence growing as they were taught how to helm the three-person Vision dinghy, balancing the boat in the gusts and tacking through a figure of eight course.
- 1 Fears for Weston General Hospital A&E's future after top doctor resigns
- 2 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 5 Call for action to reduce rising infection rates in secondary schools
- 6 Christmas lights display for Weston Hospicecare
- 7 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 8 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 9 Cash and necklaces stolen in Weston-super-Mare burglary
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
With the wind getting close to 20 knots at times, there was also plenty of fun to be had for the youngsters in and out of the water, learning how to stand up paddle board, and helping in the powerboats.
The next sessions will run on August 24, 25, 31st and September 1. For more information and to book, email email@example.com