Two close victories for Uphill teams
- Credit: Archant
Two Uphill Badminton Club teams enjoyed narrow victories last week.
UPHILL Badminton Club D and E teams were in action last week with both winning their respective North Somerset League matches.
The D team were at home to Pill B in Division 4 and won a competitive match by five rubbers to four.
The team of Jess Hargrave, Billy Fear, Emily Look, Sourish Ganapathi, Ellen Davis and Grant Kelly all combined well and gave a good account of themselves.
Pill started the evening well by winning the first mixed rubber. Emily and Sourish quickly levelled things up by winning the second mixed rubber and Ellen and Grant followed this up with a good win in the third mixed.
You may also want to watch:
The Pill ladies dominated the ladies’ rubbers, winning them all in straight games. The Uphill men then won all their rubbers comfortably for Uphill to win the match. Christine Davey from Pill won all her rubbers and Sourish and Grant won all their rubbers for Uphill.
The E’ team in Division 5 were at home to Portishead and won a close match by five rubbers to four. This very young team of Harrison Whitehouse, Abbi Rickwood, Rowan Weekes, Lauren Rickwood, Luke Morgan (captain) and Beth Dunning continue to improve and played well.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 4 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 5 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 6 North Somerset online choir to bring Christmas cheer
- 7 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 8 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 9 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
In the first mixed, Harrison and Abbi started well winning the first game against Sue Tasker and Nick Adams 21-13, but then fell away losing the next two 8-21, 16-21.
Rowan and Lauren won the second mixed and Luke and Beth won the critical third mixed rubber.
The experienced Portishead ladies won all three rubbers in straight games. The Uphill men followed this up by winning all their rubbers to win the match.
Sue Tasker of Portishead and Rowan and Luke from Uphill won all their rubbers.