Two in a row for Axbridge Animals
- Credit: Archant
Three windsurfers from Axbridge Animals all scored a perfect six score in the Team 15 south region inter-club competition.
CHEDDAR Sailing Club and the Axbridge Animals hosted the second event in the Team 15 south region inter-club junior windsurfing competition.
Conditions were perfect, the sun shone and there was a steady breeze which allowed some fantastic racing to take place. The young sailors, aged eight to 15 years, competed across four sailing fleets - 3.5m, 4.5m, 5.8m and 6.8m.
There were some outstanding performances on the day. Three sailors representing Axbridge Animals – Zoe Bassett from Cheltenham (4.5 fleet), Libby Rodgers from Clevedon (5.8) and Josh Hunt from Weare (6.8) all scored a perfect six points in their fleet, coming first in each of their six scored races, each resulting in a first place overall.
Amazingly, Axbridge Animals had numerous other podium placed sailors. Eleanor Powell (Claverham) and Ruby Owen (Axbridge) took first and third place respectively in the 3.5m fleet. Lauren Goodal, from Cross, took second place in the 5.8m fleet and Maddie Baldwin, from Weare and Elise Campbell (Langford), were second and third respectively in the 6.8 fleet.
You may also want to watch:
One of Axbridge Animals newest sailors, Ashleigh Starr from Cheddar, was awarded with a merit award for outstanding performance. Seb Cumming, from Wells, and Dan Stewart from Backwell were both awarded techno awards.
Axbridge Animals now look forward to event three in Poole on July 5. With only two regional events to go, a place at the Team 15 Champions Cup National final is within grasp. The Axbridge Animals qualified last year and ended up third place in the country.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 4 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 5 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 6 North Somerset online choir to bring Christmas cheer
- 7 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 8 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 9 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
T15 was set up by the RYA to help make windsurfing more accessible and appealing to youngsters at a grass roots level.
The T15 inter-club championship takes place regionally over the summer adding a competitive edge and race training for those keen to hone their skills. Kit can be borrowed from the clubs and the cost of sessions is deliberately kept low to maintain the accessibility.
To get involved with Team15 and locate your nearest local club, visit www.team15.org.uk or contact the RYA 0845 345 0400.