Two signings for Seagulls as pre-season schedule finalised
WESTON have made their first two signings of the summer, as the Seagulls prepare to face three football league sides in preparation for the 2012/13 Blue Square South season.
Following their Somerset Premier Cup triumph over Clevedon Town last month, the side has now signed two of their local rivals’ best players.
Midfielder Ashley Kington and striker Chas Hemmings have put pen to paper to join manager Craig Laird’s push for promotion from the division.
Kington’s technical skills impressed Laird and assistant manager Jon Haile, and the former Bristol City trainee is coming off the back of a successful season at Clevedon.
Team-mate Hemmings is a tall, powerful striker who notched 17 goals for the Evo-Stik Southern League Division one side.
You may also want to watch:
The former Bristol Rovers trainee had reportedly attracted interest from the football league, but he will now playing in a Seagulls shirt.
Haile said of the duo: “These players have a great amount of pedigree and have great futures ahead of them.”
- 1 CNM Estates purchase Birnbeck Pier with new company
- 2 Weston accountant sees business thrive during lockdowns
- 3 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
- 4 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 5 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 6 Civic society 'appalled' by new health centre proposed site
- 7 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 8 Teenager charged with dangerous driving following collision which injured three people
- 9 Thatchers search online for cidermakers
- 10 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
“We have been tracking them for a while now and we are delighted they have signed. Both of these players have the potential to play at a higher level and now they have the opportunity to prove this.”
“More signings are expected as we continue to strengthen for next season.”
The Seagulls’ eight match pre-season schedule will kick off with a trip to Western League side Keynsham Town on July 17, which will be followed by a trip to Larkhall Athletic, of the same division, on July 19.
Craig Laird’s team will then face League Two Bristol Rovers at the Woodspring Stadium on July 21, before taking the short trip to Western League team Shepton Mallet on July 24.
They will then be visited by Blue Square North Gloucester City on August 1 and Blue Square Premier Newport County on August 4, before entertaining League Two sides Plymouth Argyle and Torquay United on August 8 and 10.
Tickets for the five ties at the Woodspring Stadium are priced �5-8, and are available from www.weston-s-mareafc.co.uk
The club has also released season ticket prices for the forthcoming season, with a discounted price of �160 available until the end of June.