Two victories for Vets
Vets A notched up two victories in the first round of the Archdale Cup.
VETS A had two successes in the first round of the Archdale Cup.
The first was a close match against Totterdown Flamingos, who put up a tough fight with close games. Vets’ Colin Lewis (3) started well, beating Trevor Williams (14) in two. Flamingos’ Phil Orchard (11), Luda Cronin (16) and Williams then won the next four between them and looked well on the way to winning.
However, Vets pulled themselves together, Ann Sandford (7) Roger Crump (3) and Lewis winning all the rest, giving Vets a close 5-4 win.
Vets’ next match was against a depleted Banwell B. Lewis showed his usual consistency to beat both Rick Hutchinson (4) and Hannah Cope (12). Hutchinson had his revenge over Sandford for a previous defeat and Cope continues to improve.
You may also want to watch:
Winsc Rebels had to work hard against Totterdown Flamingos, who used their higher handicaps to great effect. Phil Orchard beat both Rebels’ Dave Hunt (1) and Richard Parker (9), missing out in the third against Rob Hansen (4). Rebels went through 7-2.
In Group B, Vets C sailed through 8-1 against Totterdown C, despite close contests. Len Noble (11) beat Bert Hiscock and Mark Price, both handicapped eight, in three close games, but lost out to Gary Chell (6) 18 and 14.
- 1 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 2 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 5 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 6 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 7 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 8 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 9 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 10 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
A good start for C & C Vipers saw them win 8-1 against Winsc Renegades. Bill Atkinson (-1) was the only player with an undefeated three wins. Max Jeremiah (2) was taken to three against Phil Yates (9). Beth Atkinson (2) won two, but fell to Renegades’ David Williams (5)
Totterdown Demons found their form against a C & C Banwell A team, Jason King (4) won all three, Mike Summers (8) and Graham Cheeseman (3) lost one each, Cheeseman to Banwell’s Jack Brent (11), Summers finding Katie Groom’s +15 a step too far. The result a 7-2 win for Demons.
In League Division 2, Vets C continue to forge ahead with two decisive victories. Gary Every, John Barcham and Len Noble won their singles. C & C Banwell B’s Hannah Cope lost a close five game set to Every and Rick Hutchinson was unlucky against Barcham also in five. Vets won 30-6.
It was another tight match for Vets C against Totterdown Flamingos. Gary Every again coming out on top. Phil Orchard took top spot for Flamingos. Vets won the match 29-10.
It is always a good evening when Winsc Warriors play Totterdown Flamingos. Warriors’ Pete Joiner and Flamingos’ Phil Orchard were both playing blinders, though Joiner just had the edge.
All Trevor Williams’ games were close and he was unlucky not to win more. Luda Cronin also played well with a win over Cath Smith. Cronin and Williams took the doubles 3-1 against Joiner and Dave Parker, but the Warriors had done enough to win the match 19-17.