Unbeaten 49ers clinch the league title
Weston 49ers remained undefeated to clinch the league title.
WESTON 49ers started the last game of the season with a 24-point lead over rivals Taunton and ran out 40-32 winners to remain unbeaten and clinch the Somerset Super Darts League title.
The 49ers started strongly with Jon Anderson winning 3-2 (22.43), followed by Clint Harding coming back from 2-0 down to win 3-2 (25.75).
Taunton managed to take the next three games before Mike Norton stopped the rot winning 3-0 (24.24), which left the game 13-12 to Taunton.
Over on board two, the 49ers were also playing strongly with Bob Hadley winning 3-1 (24.99), followed by victories for Ricky Harding 3-0 (25.47), Paul Smith 3-0 (19.03), Mike Williams 3-2 (20.31).
You may also want to watch:
Taunton won the next two games with Wayne Harding losing narrowly 3-2 on his debut.
With the 49ers one leg from taking the league title, pressure was on to remain undefeated.
- 1 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 2 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 3 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 4 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 5 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 6 175th anniversary of Weston Cricket Club book by Roger Webber to shortly be released
- 7 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 8 Cancer specialist offers tips on mental wellbeing during lockdown
- 9 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 10 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
The 49ers started the pairs strongly with Clint and Wayne Harding winning 3-1, followed by Ricky Harding and Mike Williams 3-1, but Taunton won the last game 3-2.
On board two, Taunton won the first, but the 49ers took the next with Jez Day and Chris Thomas wining 3-0. Taunton took the last, leaving the 49ers victorious and keeping their unbeaten record.
Captain John Burton would like to thank all players for their support and the 49 Club for their continuous support.
THE 49 Club hosted a charity darts evening featuring former world and three-time World Masters champion Bob Anderson.
Bob played 16 local players in a game of 701. The locals had some success with Nick English, George Turnbull, Andy Price, Mike Harding, Ricky Harding and Mike Norton all winning, but Bob won 10-6 against the locals.
The evening was raising funds for the Worle-based skin cancer awareness charity 4u Mandy Jones.
There was a raffle and auction held on the night which was well supported by the 100+ darts fans that had packed into the function room. The charity received a cheque for the wonderful sum of £1,256.