Unbeaten 49ers clinch the league title
Weston 49ers remained undefeated to clinch the league title.
WESTON 49ers started the last game of the season with a 24-point lead over rivals Taunton and ran out 40-32 winners to remain unbeaten and clinch the Somerset Super Darts League title.
The 49ers started strongly with Jon Anderson winning 3-2 (22.43), followed by Clint Harding coming back from 2-0 down to win 3-2 (25.75).
Taunton managed to take the next three games before Mike Norton stopped the rot winning 3-0 (24.24), which left the game 13-12 to Taunton.
Over on board two, the 49ers were also playing strongly with Bob Hadley winning 3-1 (24.99), followed by victories for Ricky Harding 3-0 (25.47), Paul Smith 3-0 (19.03), Mike Williams 3-2 (20.31).
You may also want to watch:
Taunton won the next two games with Wayne Harding losing narrowly 3-2 on his debut.
With the 49ers one leg from taking the league title, pressure was on to remain undefeated.
- 1 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 2 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 3 Music acts to perform next to Weston's Birnbeck Pier
- 4 Covid-19: Number of Delta variant cases in North Somerset
- 5 Beauty spot damaged as visitors use nature reserve as toilet
- 6 Beautiful three-bedroom penthouse, with panoramic views over Weston
- 7 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
- 8 Euro 2020: 7 places to watch Euro 2020 in Weston
- 9 Man charged with murder after woman dies 21 years after being set on fire
- 10 New date for Trucks at the Beach announced
The 49ers started the pairs strongly with Clint and Wayne Harding winning 3-1, followed by Ricky Harding and Mike Williams 3-1, but Taunton won the last game 3-2.
On board two, Taunton won the first, but the 49ers took the next with Jez Day and Chris Thomas wining 3-0. Taunton took the last, leaving the 49ers victorious and keeping their unbeaten record.
Captain John Burton would like to thank all players for their support and the 49 Club for their continuous support.
THE 49 Club hosted a charity darts evening featuring former world and three-time World Masters champion Bob Anderson.
Bob played 16 local players in a game of 701. The locals had some success with Nick English, George Turnbull, Andy Price, Mike Harding, Ricky Harding and Mike Norton all winning, but Bob won 10-6 against the locals.
The evening was raising funds for the Worle-based skin cancer awareness charity 4u Mandy Jones.
There was a raffle and auction held on the night which was well supported by the 100+ darts fans that had packed into the function room. The charity received a cheque for the wonderful sum of £1,256.